I think its time for new ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad has an O'Reilly branded one. He's a mechanic, so we've used alot. Did you use the ole chain method?

Nope. I did the internal compressor to hold the spring. Then floor jack to lower arm. Pulling out the spring the compressor slipped. Tried everything to recompress it but no luck. Ended up putting it in the frame first and slower jacking up the arm til a certain point. Then got my favorite hammer and hit it centered. Made sure it was seated right btw. Did that method 2 more times. and now I'm hoping they'll be good for a while

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parts store might rent the pickle forks too
I don't use pickle forks. I don't even own one. They work half the time and are too destructive. Loosen the balljoint nut so the threads are flush with the top of the nut. Get your two largest hammers and hit both sides of the knuckle at the same time, as hard as you can. If it doesn't come loose you didn't hit it hard enough. It always works, and tears up less stuff than a pickle fork. Note that sometimes it doesn't 'pop' when it comes loose, and you'll hit the knuckle three or four times before you put a prybar on it and realize it's already loose.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't use pickle forks. I don't even own one. They work half the time and are too destructive. Loosen the balljoint nut so the threads are flush with the top of the nut. Get your two largest hammers and hit both sides of the knuckle at the same time, as hard as you can. If it doesn't come loose you didn't hit it hard enough. It always works, and tears up less stuff than a pickle fork. Note that sometimes it doesn't 'pop' when it comes loose, and you'll hit the knuckle three or four times before you put a prybar on it and realize it's already loose.
AMEN... same here. I own a pickle fork but made that mistake once...

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't see the need for a spring compressor. You're not planning on removing the spring, right? With the shock absorber still attached theres no way the spring is gonna come out.

You're gonna be working on the ground?
You'll have a jack stand under the frame?
Removed the tire/wheel, brakes, knuckle?
You'll have a floor jack under the lower control arm?

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't see the need for a spring compressor. You're not planning on removing the spring, right? With the shock absorber still attached theres no way the spring is gonna come out.

You're gonna be working on the ground? Yes I am
You'll have a jack stand under the frame? Always even throw the tire under the truck too
Removed the tire/wheel, brakes, knuckle? Yes
You'll have a floor jack under the lower control arm? Yes right under the shock absorber.

Not planing on taking the spring out at all .. Just upper and lower ball joints

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is moog a good brand of ball joint for these trucks?

Racerxxx

Reaction score
Yep, problem solver is what I went with. I just rebuilt my upper arms for my 88. Those are not new assemblies but old spares that I rebuilt. Lowers are next. I ground and drilled the old rivets out. That was the hardest part, the air chisel just didn't cut it.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk