I think its time for new ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 1991 chevy c 1500. Want to do upper and lower ball joints. Replacing with moog. Dosent seen to hard will buy a snap on ball joint press . Any one have any thoughts? Also will buy a few forks to help separate them.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 1991 chevy c 1500. Want to do upper and lower ball joints. Replacing with moog. Dosent seen to hard will buy a snap on ball joint press . Any one have any thoughts? Also will buy a few forks to help separate them.
Do you work on vehicles for a living? That snap on press is sweet, my shop has one, but it isn't needed on a 1500. A typical rental unit from a parts house is perfectly fine. Truthfully it is easier to just replace the complete control arms and then you have tight bushings as well.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The parts store might rent the pickle forks too; our store did back in the day. I agree on the control arms, on a truck that old. Unless you just did the bushings (or had them done).
I did upper ball joints on my Burb 2 years ago, they were original and floppy as all get out. Bushings and lower joints were fine then(I suspect P.O. probably replaced the lowers since these trucks eat them). Now it needs upper bushings, and I'm just gonna go with the complete arm. If the joints are still good, I'll keep them for spares. You're also gonna want to gather all your big hammers, cause you will need them to separate the joints from the spindle/knuckle.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont work on car just like having good tools. Also i feel when you have good tools your job is easier sometimes. My only issuse with doing the arms is i dont have rach to get the springs out. I was just going to do this with it on the ground

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely rent a spring compressor! I'm sure that goes without saying, but that's PSA I always feel compelled to say. I've seen and heard too many horror stories.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely rent a spring compressor! I'm sure that goes without saying, but that's PSA I always feel compelled to say. I've seen and heard too many horror stories.

What's a good spring compressor? My experience they slip easy and can be hazardous as well lol. Mine was off Amazon. Internal spring compressor.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Rent a coil spring compressor! Those springs have enough stored energy to remove body parts. My old store manager from back when I worked at Autozone saw one come undone and punch a hole in a shop wall. He had pictures.