I see a red truck and I want to paint it black ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Modern paint systems are just that. Systems.

Choose your paint and get EVERYTHING the paint manufacturer recommends from bare metal to clearcoat.

Mixing and matching is a crapshoot. Way too much work/expense to do over.
most definetely, and they all have their second tier products. PPG has Onmi, Dupont had Nason which is now on it's own as Axalta, BASF has Limco, Akzo-Nobel has several product lines.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used the Summit single stage paint on a few projects an I have been very happy with it.

Look at the Black Starburst Pearl. It's black with multicolor flake. It looks really cool! I shot a custom Harley with it and it looked good in the shop but when we put it in the sun WOW!
Pretty sure the Summit paint is re-packaged Kirker. My tuck was basecoated with it. I have used it a few times. Not fond of their clears. I do like their epoxy primer.

crowe

Reaction score
I picked up a red 95 cclb dually in October that will need the same treatment. The previous owner packed the holes with filler only and it has failed.

Great progress so far! I am also considering a color change to black. I don’t have the patience to do it properly as you are, but because I also have red interior I’m thinking I may be able to pull off leaving the jambs alone. Anyway, don’t mean to hijack, keep up the good work!

I love the way that truck sits. looks like stock tires too. Can you tell me what drop is used on it from stock?

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used the summit single stage as well, I did a ram truck with the blue pearl. the pearl can be tricky, you have to walk the panels or you get blotches of pearl. the paint is holding up good., I shot one coat of clear over the paint so it could be polished later if needed.. if you dont do this, you cant polish it. when I say polish I mean to take a thin layer of paint off .

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heres a tip for getting the primer ready and finding imperfections,. use a garden hose when wet sanding with a small stream of water. after you sand a section rinse it, and watch the water, how it runs off.. if there is a rough spot, water will run around the spot, like a little island. spot sand it, then run water over it again. the water will show large and small areas that are not cut to whatever grit your using. when the water runs over the whole section and doesnt "eddy" up anywhere your good to go. if you sand the spot that is not letting water flow freely and it still eddies its likely a low spot, and u will have to fill it.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love the way that truck sits. looks like stock tires too. Can you tell me what drop is used on it from stock?
The guy I bought it from did the drop kit and said it was a Ridetech 5/7 kit he got through Jegs. It’s on 245/75/16 tires.

crowe

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've gotten behind on this thread, sorry. I got sick, then she got sick, long week, blah blah blah.
Going to try to catch up next couple days.

There have been some pretty informative responses. Thanks!!

So, we are pretty much disassembled at this point. Let's start with the tailgate.

Something came down pretty hard across handle, metal badge, and underneath.
You must be registered for see images attach

I want to salvage this tailgate if possible.
Removed badge, Got it rough sanded, little bondo, and tried to weld around handle.

Looks like too much trouble, (for me anyway) to get it straightened out right around the handle.
I'm just going to shave the handle.

Bought the relocation kit, cut the inside of gate and tested it.

The kit came with a blank for the outside. Just tack, tack, tack, all the way around, as not to get panel too hot.
Then did a little grinding.

crowe

Reaction score
Then we added some short strand fiberglass. He always uses fiberglass over any welds.

Then a little more of this stuff, after sanding the fiberglass.

Then watch your buddy smooth it out....

Hell, I came this far, might as well throw a coat of primer on it.

Yea, I'm keeping my marker lights.

Only thing left to do today is buy my boy a beer and

call it over.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've gotten behind on this thread, sorry. I got sick, then she got sick, long week, blah blah blah.
Going to try to catch up next couple days.

There have been some pretty informative responses. Thanks!!

So, we are pretty much disassembled at this point. Let's start with the tailgate.

Something came down pretty hard across handle, metal badge, and underneath.

I want to salvage this tailgate if possible.
Removed badge, Got it rough sanded, little bondo, and tried to weld around handle.

Looks like too much trouble, (for me anyway) to get it straightened out right around the handle.
I'm just going to shave the handle.

Bought the relocation kit, cut the inside of gate and tested it.

The kit came with a blank for the outside. Just tack, tack, tack, all the way around, as not to get panel too hot.
Then did a little grinding.

Keep going around it with spot tacks like that until there is no more space left/solid welded. The spaces can lead to ghosting of the body filler where you can see it through the paint when finished. Clean up the inside as well, a little seam sealer if neccessary on that inner flange, a little primer and some paint or undercoating to keep moisture out of the backside of the repair

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, you posted up while I was finishing mine, I'd like to think he welded that patch fully around it's perimeter.

Last edited: