I may have an addiction.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have not had that happen with any of my trucks. But I would definitely suspect an issue with the hydro boost. As far as the trans needing fluid constantly, have you checked for trans fluid in the radiator? I know the cooler is in the radiator end tank, so it's possible it has suffered an internal failure. I've had that happen one time. Not common, but possible. Other than that, I would suspect internal trans issue or a leaking cooler line.
That's what happened to the F-150 we had, that I got from my boss. The dexcool looked normal when I looked in the radiator neck. Truck has the auxiliary trans cooler, best I can tell, it's okay. Brush guard will have to come off to get the grille off as it's pushed close on the driver's side corner.
The first time it did this, I checked the transmission dipstick and it was dry. Only took 8oz. to get it back operating "normally" though. Every other time, the stick has had some residue on it. And if you pull it out to check w/o engine on, it shows plenty full.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
That's what happened to the F-150 we had, that I got from my boss. The dexcool looked normal when I looked in the radiator neck. Truck has the auxiliary trans cooler, best I can tell, it's okay. Brush guard will have to come off to get the grille off as it's pushed close on the driver's side corner.
The first time it did this, I checked the transmission dipstick and it was dry. Only took 8oz. to get it back operating "normally" though. Every other time, the stick has had some residue on it. And if you pull it out to check w/o engine on, it shows plenty full.
Yeah, definitely has to be running to properly check level. And no evidence of it leaking at say the rear extension housing or pinion seal? It has to be going somewhere, it's not like there's fairies making it magically disappear.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely has to be running to properly check level. And no evidence of it leaking at say the rear extension housing or pinion seal? It has to be going somewhere, it's not like there's fairies making it magically disappear.
None that I have seen. Since this was a south Texas farm truck, there is lots of tan dust underneath, so any leaks would be obvious. Only place that even looked suspicious was the pan bolts. Cause I could see the gasket shrinking, with it not being driven much. And I feel like my guy knows what he's doing.

Dravec

Reaction score
So, bit of an update. Radiator has been replaced, stays rock steady at 185-190. Almost zero variation. Even when I towed my parts truck home today. Ambient temp was like 95, and I was close to max towing. Also installed the set of Trail Ridge 800 style tow mirrors that I've had since the week I got her. Those were worth every penny on the trip today.

Dravec

Reaction score
Also, can anyone explain to me how this truck, on the way down to pick up the other truck, running empty and in overdrive, at like 2400 RPM, just the 18 ft tandem axle trailer, got 10.23 mpg.

Then on the way back home, loaded down with an extended cab short bed K2500, and a few extra parts, running in 3rd gear, at a steady and constant 3100 RPM, absolutely howling, got 10.20 mpg???

I'm so very confused at that.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is good pulling mpg. If you hooked up to something that is less aero (like a camper), it might drop more into the 7-9 mpg range. Seems normal.

Dravec

Reaction score
That is good pulling mpg. If you hooked up to something that is less aero (like a camper), it might drop more into the 7-9 mpg range. Seems normal.
While I agree that that is good towing mileage, I can't for the life of me figure out how towing a 1700 lb trailer, in overdrive, I got 10.23 mpg.
Yet with a 5300-ish lb truck added on, plus another few hundred pounds of extra tools, gear, and extra parts, I got 10.20 mpg in 3rd.
That math just doesn't add up to me. :rotflmao: