Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I buy my vehicles used, so its actually everyone elses fault that I have only had 2 manual vehicles (saturn sw2 and my square gmc in my pfp)
If the boomers and gen x'ers of days past just accepted the perfect and superior driving experience and stopped trying to sterilize it then none of us would have these issues!!
Ahh! An SW2. The only Saturn S-series that I haven't owned in my life. LoL I'm somewhat of an expert on replacing radiators in those little sh1tboxes.

The first Saturn I ever owned was a 5-speed SL1. 2000 model year, I think. The shift cable busted one day and the car was JUST out of warranty, meaning the dealer wanted nothing to do with it.

Went to Auto Zone, got a new cable, and installed it right there in the parking lot. Took maybe an hour, then drove it home. It was also a bright, beautiful summer day lol. I've since "graduated" to mid 90's Firebirds. Those are much harder to find in a V6 5-speed... in any condition.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh! An SW2. The only Saturn S-series I haven't owned in my life. LoL I'm somewhat of an expert on replacing radiators in those little sh1tboxes.

The first Saturn I ever owned was a 5-speed SL1. 2000 model year, I think. The shift cable busted one day and the car was JUST out of warranty, meaning the dealer wanted nothing to do with it.

Went to Auto Zone, got a new cable, and installed it right there in the parking lot. Took maybe an hour, then drove it home. It was also a bright, beautiful summer day lol. I've since "graduated" to mid 90's Firebirds. Those are much harder to find in a V6 5-speed... in any condition.
Me too, The end tank was cracked when I bought the thing for cheap and I had to replace some screws for ignition module I think.. I believe I did valve cover gasket, plugs, oil change. I really liked what that car had going, but I didnt have it for long. high mileage, but the trans was crisp and smooth. I think the clutch had been done recently based on the miles and how nice it was. I was able to drive it on the road with very very very limited manual experience rather nicely after a mile or so.
I would like to get another(SC2 or the sedan , the wagon isnt exactly what I need in a small car but i respect it

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Me too, The end tank was cracked when I bought the thing for cheap and I had to replace some screws for ignition module I think.. I believe I did valve cover gasket, plugs, oil change. I really liked what that car had going, but I didnt have it for long. high mileage, but the trans was crisp and smooth. I think the clutch had been done recently based on the miles and how nice it was. I was able to drive it on the road with very very very limited manual experience rather nicely after a mile or so.
I would like to get another(SC2 or the sedan , the wagon isnt exactly what I need in a small car but i respect it

Sounds about typical for those little 1.9L's. So, at the risk of thread hijacking, I won't go into the story I was about to go into... Let's suffice it to say that the S-series I wish I would not have gotten rid of was an early model (but still OBDII) SC... can't remember if it was a SOHC or DOHC, but it was a 5 speed and boy did that thing RUN!! Sold it like an idiot to finance gawd only knows what. This was the better part of 10+ years ago. Rumor has is that the person I sold it to still has it and it still runs.

Reaction score
My app and even the web browser is bugging pretty bad. I dont know what you guys can see but my feed is a mess. It chopped and spaced and pretty much threw my words in a coffee can, dropped a dook in it, shook it. And posted that.

Reaction score
I own 2 standard transmission vehicles. Everything has its place. Fact is. Manuals are way more dangerous on icy roads, inconvenient when you're just driving. And I can't help unnecessary jiggling of the stick in neutral. Thats a work truck. The two shouldn't actually be compared in the same category or voted on for what's better. They both have their place. And I know which one I tske to town and which one i take to trail. I live in Alaska. Manuals are cumbersome on roadways in winter. Always 4wd or you're spinning. At intersections, and at cruising speed letting off the throttle at too high rpm is a good way to turn a ditch into a half pipe

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I own 2 standard transmission vehicles. Everything has its place. Fact is. Manuals are way more dangerous on icy roads, inconvenient when you're just driving. And I can't help unnecessary jiggling of the stick in neutral. Thats a work truck. The two shouldn't actually be compared in the same category or voted on for what's better. They both have their place. And I know which one I tske to town and which one i take to trail. I live in Alaska. Manuals are cumbersome on roadways in winter. Always 4wd or you're spinning. At intersections, and at cruising speed letting off the throttle at too high rpm is a good way to turn a ditch into a half pipe
I'm going to have to disagree with that, IF the drivers knows what they are doing. Example: Not too long ago, I was forced to drive a 95~ish Firebird (V6, 5-speed), through a sudden snow storm... on my way to work. If you know how to use a clutch and all 5 gears to your advantage, you'll do fine.

Most people slam on the brakes when the rear end starts letting loose. Let off the gas to stop sliding, then downshift (while feathering the clutch) and counter steer. Your inertia will keep you going, while the downshift will help you to use engine braking, yet raises your RPM's enough that feathering the clutch gives that forward push that you need.

In situations like that, you won't be breaking any speed records, but you won't get stuck, either. Made it to work that day in that 25 year old, rear wheel drive sh1tbox, while I was seeing people in their brand new space ships (most with front wheel drive or AWD) getting stuck, landing in ditches, or (GASP) being smart enough to stay the EFF home in that kind of weather.

I do, however, have an instance where I was riding with a buddy of mine (in his car) in a 92 Rustang. That thing had some power, but it also RARELY ran. So one day, a lifetime ago, we were coming home on leave and got stuck in BAD traffic on I95. Yeah well my buddies Rustang was a 5-speed and even he started complaining about his knee getting sore from riding the clutch in that bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Meh, I digress. I'll shutup now lol.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with that, IF the drivers knows what they are doing. Example: Not too long ago, I was forced to drive a 95~ish Firebird (V6, 5-speed), through a sudden snow storm... on my way to work. If you know how to use a clutch and all 5 gears to your advantage, you'll do fine.

Most people slam on the brakes when the rear end starts letting loose. Let off the gas to stop sliding, then downshift (while feathering the clutch) and counter steer. Your inertia will keep you going, while the downshift will help you to use engine braking, yet raises your RPM's enough that feathering the clutch gives that forward push that you need.

In situations like that, you won't be breaking any speed records, but you won't get stuck, either. Made it to work that day in that 25 year old, rear wheel drive sh1tbox, while I was seeing people in their brand new space ships (most with front wheel drive or AWD) getting stuck, landing in ditches, or (GASP) being smart enough to stay the EFF home in that kind of weather.

I do, however, have an instance where I was riding with a buddy of mine (in his car) in a 92 Rustang. That thing had some power, but it also RARELY ran. So one day, a lifetime ago, we were coming home on leave and got stuck in BAD traffic on I95. Yeah well my buddies Rustang was a 5-speed and even he started complaining about his knee getting sore from riding the clutch in that bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Meh, I digress. I'll shutup now lol.
You see tho, those space ships have AWD or are "new" and thus buyers have determined that they are safe and they wont have issues!!!
Only issue is, those buyers are not in any way able to will that to be true, even tho they try HARD!!!
But listen to when people talk about wanting or getting a new vehicle. "Its got 4x4/AWD" "I need it for winter"
"my current car is old so thats why winter driving makes me uneasy"

I dont frankly know who is exactly pushing these lies because the advertisements I remember have never really made such bold claims.. but I dont have any interest in a new car, so maybe im missing something.

The most dangerous thing people can do is think that AWD/4x4 is what makes a car good for winter driving. There is about 3% of truth in that and it only has to do with getting moving and using something like a truck which you drive in less than ideal weather and the height lets you clear what a car cant.

ESPECIALLY when we are talking the tires that come on those cars. New car tires suck more than china budget all season tires.(well, not all but still) They tend to be stiff, have a short mileage life even compared to the model of tire sold new, and they tend to be touring/basic all seasons. which are objectively not that good for snow.

Give a car owner something with subpar grip, a high center of gravity, and bulky and complex AWD/4x4 and convince them they are safe and you now have 3/4 of new crossover/SUV buyers and dangerous ones at that

A FWD model car from 2000 and good working suspension/brakes and with snow tires will outperform about any new SUV/crossover with AWD/4x4 , within reason id bet that covers almost any 2000 fwd car lol
Then next safest thing one could do is not to have the mentality that they are safe and that having AWD/4x4 is all they needed, because they drive reckless/without being diligent if they think that is true

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You see tho, those space ships have AWD or are "new" and thus buyers have determined that they are safe and they wont have issues!!!
Only issue is, those buyers are not in any way able to will that to be true, even tho they try HARD!!!
But listen to when people talk about wanting or getting a new vehicle. "Its got 4x4/AWD" "I need it for winter"
"my current car is old so thats why winter driving makes me uneasy"

I dont frankly know who is exactly pushing these lies because the advertisements I remember have never really made such bold claims.. but I dont have any interest in a new car, so maybe im missing something.

The most dangerous thing people can do is think that AWD/4x4 is what makes a car good for winter driving. There is about 3% of truth in that and it only has to do with getting moving and using something like a truck which you drive in less than ideal weather and the height lets you clear what a car cant.

ESPECIALLY when we are talking the tires that come on those cars. New car tires suck more than china budget all season tires.(well, not all but still) They tend to be stiff, have a short mileage life even compared to the model of tire sold new, and they tend to be touring/basic all seasons. which are objectively not that good for snow.

Give a car owner something with subpar grip, a high center of gravity, and bulky and complex AWD/4x4 and convince them they are safe and you now have 3/4 of new crossover/SUV buyers and dangerous ones at that

A FWD model car from 2000 and good working suspension/brakes and with snow tires will outperform about any new SUV/crossover with AWD/4x4 , within reason id bet that covers almost any 2000 fwd car lol
Then next safest thing one could do is not to have the mentality that they are safe and that having AWD/4x4 is all they needed, because they drive reckless/without being diligent if they think that is true

So for the most part, you agree with me, yes? Granted, I bought my Silverado primarily as a daily driver but also for a winter vehicle. That makes me as guilty and as hypocritical as the next schmuck. It also, however, serves me well in the snow. One thing it does not have is traction on the ice... no matter how high of quality the tires are or how well maintained the suspension is. That's just how it is.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for the most part, you agree with me, yes? Granted, I bought my Silverado primarily as a daily driver but also for a winter vehicle. That makes me as guilty and as hypocritical as the next schmuck. It also, however, serves me well in the snow. One thing it does not have is traction on the ice... no matter how high of quality the tires are or how well maintained the suspension is. That's just how it is.
snow tires and put some weight in back. if still no traction then your alignmen needs some work