I can smell it but cant find a leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99 vortec 350, 9x,*** miles, no visable leak that i have been able to find, no puddles under the truck. I can smell it when i get out of it after driving it. Pop the hood and it seems stronger on the drivers side, but when its running, the fan really moves the smell, like its comming from the radaitor, but nothing is wet, front or back. Dosent look to be comming from the weap holes in the water pump, hoses look dry as well. If i let it sit for a few days, still see no signs of a leak. Overflow tank has fluid in it, and if it does have a leak then its a very tiny one, cause the fluid dosent seem to be droping. Oil is clean and shows no sign of water. Nothing wet on the fire wall by heater core, and cant smell it inside the truck.Any suggestions?

Reaction score
take and get a pressure tester. you can rent them at most chain parts stores. if you have a leak a pressure tester will find it. you can also get coolant dye and a black light.i would try the pressure tester and dye first.

Reaction score
take and get a pressure tester. you can rent them at most chain parts stores. if you have a leak a pressure tester will find it. you can also get coolant dye and a black light.i would try the pressure tester and dye first.

Word the dye kit works great. I found mine like that.

iamkeniff

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
radiator could be leaking, the water pump could be leaking, the intake could be leaking, hell even a crack hose could cause it.

i never smelled my water leak

Reaction score
Similar situation in my 99 Yukon-all smell no sight. It ended up being the heater hose fitting on the manifold by the alternator. The aluminum fitting had a small crack and the leak would evaporate on the manifold before I could see it. Needless to say it finally broke in half. I replaced it with a steel fitting, cleaned it up and no more smell.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had customer same complaint. Pressure check can not duplicate. Back again samething. Finally looked at Rad cap closely. The cap seals were allowing just enough sweet smell. New cap fixed. The hotshots checked the system but not the cap. Go figure...m