I am looking to Turbocharge my 98 Tahoe, How should I prepare my engine, what mods do I need/would be recommended.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvo

Reaction score
I'm not poo pooing him, I'm not telling him to LS swap, I'm simply telling him that to make the power he wants (to be able to "gap trucks on the street") isn't a cheap or quick task.
I would have to disagree, just adding 200 horsepower, for a total of 450-500 ish. Would be exactly what I'm looking for. would I be able to compete with a REALLY fast truck? No, but it would but me faster than most cars on the roads. A Turbo project would give me around 200 horsepower, which isn't too crazy... assuming the engine will handle it. It sounds like the 350 with stock internals will handle 500 whp somewhat reliably, and in that case YES! Turbocharging it would be relatively cheap (I'm talking $1,500-2,000) and fast, I'm thinking a few weekends. Which is MUCH cheaper than an LS swap, and considerably less time-consuming.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to disagree, just adding 200 horsepower, for a total of 450-500 ish. Would be exactly what I'm looking for. would I be able to compete with a REALLY fast truck? No, but it would but me faster than most cars on the roads. A Turbo project would give me around 200 horsepower, which isn't too crazy... assuming the engine will handle it. It sounds like the 350 with stock internals will handle 500 whp somewhat reliably, and in that case YES! Turbocharging it would be relatively cheap (I'm talking $1,500-2,000) and fast, I'm thinking a few weekends. Which is MUCH cheaper than an LS swap, and considerably less time-consuming.
Adding 200 horse doesn't put you at 500 to the wheels, it barely cracks 4. Your truck in peak condition put out 255 at the crank, so around 215 at the wheels. 400 ish to the wheels in a 5000lb+ truck ain't gonna be faster than much. Assuming 500 at the crank it's a little under 1 (.09) hp/lb A current V6 Camaro is .088 hp/lb, effectively the same. Also, as you will discover, your budget will be more than double what you think. It always is.
I've done a turbo project on 2 wheels, and I've got another turbo project ongoing with a square Burb. My car is a modified factory supercharged car. Don't get me wrong, boost is awesome!
It's your truck, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it, we'll all be here to help you along the way. I'm just trying to explain the realities of doing what you say you want to do.

Traveling man

Reaction score
Hey Man, I appreciate the advice. I'll be sure to check him out. The thing is, however, I'm in no position financially to drop that kind of money/time on an engine swap. This is kind of a cheap and shortcut way for more power, and I'm just wanting to see if it will be safe or not. While I agree that an LS swap would be the wiser no compromises option, I just don't have that kind of money or time.
I hear yah " as far as time goes I wouldn't have been able to do it if not in the middle of the pandemic and had no job to go to. Money-wise, after selling my worn-out tbi and transmission. Plus transfer case and a few other parts from the 2004 2500HD I purchased for $2,500, I ended up having $700 in a 6.0 LS with a 4 L 80 e the hydroboost front and rear 14 bolt full float disc brake G80 locker 410 gear ratio. That's a lot of stuff for 700 bucks. But if it's your daily driver and or you're working eating sleeping repeat, it's just a bunch of stuff sitting in the backyard. Goodluck ✌

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
200 HP is probably going to take 15 psi.
Not with a cam change. XM270HR, Comp 787 Retainers and PAC1218 springs will add atleast 60+ hp by itself. Vortec Blazer got almost 100 hp from the same cam swap on his L31 powered blazer. Went from about 210 hp to 304 hp at the wheels.

I put about 20 bottles through my L31 at 150 hp gain over my 370ish NA. I put probably 40 bottles through it with a 100 shot. Then I built my 383. Big van would scoot on a 100 shot much less the 150.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Come to UK-I'm faster than most of the cars in a bus.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with a cam change. XM270HR, Comp 787 Retainers and PAC1218 springs will add atleast 60+ hp by itself. Vortec Blazer got almost 100 hp from the same cam swap on his L31 powered blazer. Went from about 210 hp to 304 hp at the wheels.

I put about 20 bottles through my L31 at 150 hp gain over my 370ish NA. I put probably 40 bottles through it with a 100 shot. Then I built my 383. Big van would scoot on a 100 shot much less the 150.

Yes, if you add power NA it will take less boost to make the same power, but I think he expects to just slap a turbo on and get an extra 200 HP out of it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, if you add power NA it will take less boost to make the same power, but I think he expects to just slap a turbo on and get an extra 200 HP out of it.

ASSuming no losses, my math says 11.5 psi will do it. With what's locked up in the factory tune and exhaust, both of which would need redone, I think that's a fairly accurate expectation.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASSuming no losses, my math says 11.5 psi will do it. With what's locked up in the factory tune and exhaust, both of which would need redone, I think that's a fairly accurate expectation.

Sounds plausible. It's doable, but I know people that have blown up on less (or what was supposed to be less).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds plausible. It's doable, but I know people that have blown up on less (or what was supposed to be less).

NA or boosted? While boost adds cylinder pressure, it also allows you to make power without revving the piss out of it.