I am looking to Turbocharge my 98 Tahoe, How should I prepare my engine, what mods do I need/would be recommended.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvo

Reaction score
The information I have is from, Richard holdener, speed secrets, definitely worth your time to YouTube the Channel. I agree with the fella said STOP put in an LS. ever hurd of 4bolt mains ? LS is 6 bolt on every Journal. He recently took a high mileage junkyard 6.0 30,000 ring Gap, twin turbo, over 1,400 hp and it survived, not a forged crank not forged rods not forged pistons. When pushed till they pop it's the rod that give out on LS assuming you have ARP bolts. As far as compression is concerned, low compression doesn't help it survive, it does gives you less power, what lower compression is good for, lower octane fuel without Dead Nation. The things I'm saying or dyno proven, I could go on for days trying to help you decide what when where and why, you would have to decide whether or not I'm being biased, talkin out my rear, you should really check out Richard holdener YouTube, be forewarned it's very addictive and extremely exciting when you see just how advanced the LS motor is, it makes all previous (small block) seem like boat anchors.also a 4l60e that can handle the power you're looking Not cheap. There's a lot of debate over the 60 and the 80 because of weight and gear ratio, if it were me I would stay away from your local shop and Monster and go with Gear star.
Hey Man, I appreciate the advice. I'll be sure to check him out. The thing is, however, I'm in no position financially to drop that kind of money/time on an engine swap. This is kind of a cheap and shortcut way for more power, and I'm just wanting to see if it will be safe or not. While I agree that an LS swap would be the wiser no compromises option, I just don't have that kind of money or time.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To do what you want costs money. There's no way around it. You can't take a n/a truck with 200 ish whp and simply buy a turbo, bolt it on in a weekend and have the kind of power newer trucks come with stock. For all the reasons mentioned in this thread, there are better ways of reaching your goal.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speed (power) costs money (and time). I hope this doesn't sound condescending, but if you don't have the money and time to do an LS swap you really don't have it for any of these other things you are talking about either.

A turbo is not just going to fall in there and work by itself.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would have ZERO qualms slapping a turbo on a stock motor, not going nuts with boost, and achieving exactly what the OP hopes to. I don't understand why you guys are poo pooing him. You don't need an LS for everything. Sure they'll take more boost, but an L31 doesn't take no boost. Look up Lextech's twin turbo L30 if you don't believe me. Spoiler alert: it's a stock motor.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have ZERO qualms slapping a turbo on a stock motor, not going nuts with boost, and achieving exactly what the OP hopes to. I don't understand why you guys are poo pooing him. You don't need an LS for everything. Sure they'll take more boost, but an L31 doesn't take no boost. Look up Lextech's twin turbo L30 if you don't believe me. Spoiler alert: it's a stock motor.
I'm not poo pooing him, I'm not telling him to LS swap, I'm simply telling him that to make the power he wants (to be able to "gap trucks on the street") isn't a cheap or quick task.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not poo pooing him, I'm not telling him to LS swap, I'm simply telling him that to make the power he wants (to be able to "gap trucks on the street") isn't a cheap or quick task.

That post wasn't directed entirely at you just to be clear.

We're just being realistic and maybe saving some pain. Cheap, fast, good: Pick 2.

It sounds like OP's goals are in line with what the stock motor can handle. Cheap? That's a relative term. Fast? Very subjective. Good? As long as it doesn't blow up, which it shouldn't, then he'll just be ponying up for when that 4L60 gives up the ghost.