I am looking to Turbocharge my 98 Tahoe, How should I prepare my engine, what mods do I need/would be recommended.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvo

Reaction score
Without any compromises (no removal of A/C or Power steering ect.) I want to install a turbo. I have the whole system planned out (not bought) with few kinks left to deal with, my question remains; What next? First and foremost I am already planning on swapping the PCM with a 0411, the support for tuning for boost and other applications make it the clear choice for this. But other than that I'm not sure everything is ready. Are there timing changes I should make? Should I get a forged crank or cam shaft? New pistons and Rods? Or is the 350 small block ready to handle 500-600 Horsies? Maybe something not even remotely on this list! I want to ask all you smarter guys before I potentially hurt my perfectly good car. Any other tips would be appreciated as well.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd do a cam that generates a bit less cylinder pressure while you're at it. What are your plans for fuel? IIRC, you're safe up to around 500whp. Not sure quite where the limit is on a stock shortblock.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Without any compromises (no removal of A/C or Power steering ect.) I want to install a turbo. I have the whole system planned out (not bought) with few kinks left to deal with, my question remains; What next? First and foremost I am already planning on swapping the PCM with a 0411, the support for tuning for boost and other applications make it the clear choice for this. But other than that I'm not sure everything is ready. Are there timing changes I should make? Should I get a forged crank or cam shaft? New pistons and Rods? Or is the 350 small block ready to handle 500-600 Horsies? Maybe something not even remotely on this list! I want to ask all you smarter guys before I potentially hurt my perfectly good car. Any other tips would be appreciated as well.

honestly 5-600 hp is starting to stretch it a bit to ask for with a stock block IMO. esp if im assuming it already has 100k + miles on it. is this a daily driver to hear some boost occasionally or are you trying to really push the thing? the better question is your transmission. these 4l60s are great transmissions in stock applications but once you add some resistance to them in the form of higher HP or bigger rolling mass they tend to heat up quick which we all know is a recipe for disaster with any hydraulic pump with clutches.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
honestly 5-600 hp is starting to stretch it a bit to ask for with a stock block IMO. esp if im assuming it already has 100k + miles on it. is this a daily driver to hear some boost occasionally or are you trying to really push the thing? the better question is your transmission. these 4l60s are great transmissions in stock applications but once you add some resistance to them in the form of higher HP or bigger rolling mass they tend to heat up quick which we all know is a recipe for disaster with any hydraulic pump with clutches.

What is stretching anything on a high mileage motor? The rings are already gapped for boost. Why would a seasoned motor be weaker than a new one? I did the blower at 240k on my 1500.

theunderlord

Reaction score
You should not spend a dime on this, and start researching what you will need to LS or LT swap your Tahoe.