Hydrostatic mower not moving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a tractor style, but he'd like a zero turn. He has a large yard, but also some difficult areas to maneuver.
I resisted buying a zero turn, but then my wife found a non-running Husqvarna. I got it for $150 and ended up spending about $200 getting it into shape. It's utterly fantastic compared to the L130. I can mow the lawn in about 2/3 the time. "Difficult areas to maneuver"? I recommend a zero turn. Last year I went to fire up the L130 and the battery was dead. I haven't felt compelled to fix it yet. I really need to get the old gas out of it before it gums up.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My dad tore the tractor down today, and wants to get it welded. I don't think it's worth it. He also found a broken spring that has to do with the clutch that engages the hydrostatic drive. I couldn't see how the lever activates it, Though.

Attachments

• Resized_20230529_172156.jpeg
    Resized_20230529_172156.jpeg
    792.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made this admission in another post on this site:

Short story: Destroyed a drive belt because the spring that tensions the belt got weak. Replaced the belt, which didn't fix anything. Then replaced the entire transaxle with a new "upgrade" transaxle because the entire internet said the K46 transaxle was a piece of crap. The new K57 transaxle didn't fix anything.

Fixed the mower by drilling a couple holes, adding an aftermarket tensioner spring to the existing John Deere tensioner spring.

Wasted hundreds of dollars on the "upgraded" transaxle that I didn't need because I missed the $10 spring.

The "oil pan" of the K46--K57 series transaxles has places for two drain plugs, but they have to be drilled and tapped after the "pan" is removed with the transaxle "pan UP" on the workbench. I drilled and tapped both of mine--the K46 and the replacement K57; but I don't know why. The transaxle has to come out to access the oil-filler neck, so even if you drain the old oil (5W-50 synthetic recommended) you can't put new oil back in without major work.

Tell your Dad that he's probably running way too much air pressure in those front tires. My riding mower takes 13 psi front and rear.

I don't know anyone with a zero-turn that wants to go back to an old-style riding lawnmower/garden tractor for cutting grass.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Short story: Destroyed a drive belt because the spring that tensions the belt got weak.

Now that you mention it, my dad did tell me that he has a broken spring, too.

The transaxle has to come out to access the oil-filler neck, so even if you drain the old oil (5W-50 synthetic recommended) you can't put new oil back in without major work.

I have no idea what transaxle is in my dad's tractor, but I do see that it has a spin on filter.

Tell your Dad that he's probably running way too much air pressure in those front tires. My riding mower takes 13 psi front and rear.

He may not be using a guage when he fills them. I think he has a new used set of wheels to put on. I'll mention the air pressure.

He has the tractor almost back together, I think. It turns ot the frame being broken was a big part of the lack of drive. A guy he used to work with welded it up for him. I just hope it doesn't brake again.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 48" Kubota TG1860 Diesel lawn tractor and absolutely love it. I've owned and used nearly every brand of commercial zero turn mower from previous business ventures and if I were in the market to get a new ZT it would either be a gas Hustler Super Z or a Kubota diesel.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I specifically sought out a tractor style mower for mowing my place. I mow just over 1.5 acres of fenced in yard and that's just too small to really need a zero turn. Besides, ZT's require two hands to operate so I'd have to figure out something else to do with my beer

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 48" Kubota TG1860 Diesel lawn tractor and absolutely love it. I've owned and used nearly every brand of commercial zero turn mower from previous business ventures and if I were in the market to get a new ZT it would either be a gas Hustler Super Z or a Kubota diesel.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I specifically sought out a tractor style mower for mowing my place. I mow just over 1.5 acres of fenced in yard and that's just too small to really need a zero turn. Besides, ZT's require two hands to operate so I'd have to figure out something else to do with my beer
We gotcha covered bro

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone with a zero-turn that wants to go back to an old-style riding lawnmower/garden tractor for cutting grass.
I mow just over 1.5 acres of fenced in yard and that's just too small to really need a zero turn.
I have one acre, and a zero-turn cuts my mowing time nearly in half. I'm not going back.