hydroboost pump and brake switch help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
halfway done putting hydroboost on a 98 tahoe,coming from a 92 k3500 parts truck that was a 6.5? diesel i believe?it had a turbo with a 5 speed. im doing it with the 5 speed pedal(plan on going manual).
the trouble im having is the 1 ton pump wont fit the aluminum mounting bracket,the pump it's too wide do i have to grind down the bracket to fit??i thought i read someone having to do this but threads are dissapering from when i first searched a year ago..so i have been looking at the 96 pumps do i have to buy a new pump to get this to be plug and play? i dont mind grinding if i get to use the better stock hydroboost pump

also the brake switches are different that would be fine.but the mounting pin is shorter so it wont fit on the new arm,i noticed they sell a black switch at auto parts that fits the 96+ harness i will try that and report back.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use the OE p/s pump from the gas engine. Just make sure the return line has a "y" for the 2 hoses.
I've got an '89 1500 with a Whipple. I hydroboost swapped it and only had to modify the return lines.

ian2113

Reaction score
halfway done putting hydroboost on a 98 tahoe,coming from a 92 k3500 parts truck that was a 6.5? diesel i believe?it had a turbo with a 5 speed. im doing it with the 5 speed pedal(plan on going manual).
the trouble im having is the 1 ton pump wont fit the aluminum mounting bracket,the pump it's too wide do i have to grind down the bracket to fit??i thought i read someone having to do this but threads are dissapering from when i first searched a year ago..so i have been looking at the 96 pumps do i have to buy a new pump to get this to be plug and play? i dont mind grinding if i get to use the better stock hydroboost pump

also the brake switches are different that would be fine.but the mounting pin is shorter so it wont fit on the new arm,i noticed they sell a black switch at auto parts that fits the 96+ harness i will try that and report back.
I'm interested in doing this swap in my 99 whipple'd Escalade. Just wondering what all I would need to get started and what exactly I would need to modify. My power steering and AC are both shot and the Whipple needs rebuilt, so I figured I'd just go ahead and get it all done at once while I'm waiting for the Whipple to get rebuilt. Any info would be helpful as I'm new to this platform, but grew up watching my step dad work on these older trucks.

ian2113

Reaction score
I recommend adding a second return line to the PS reservoir. I have had customers that have Y'd the hoses together and had issues with the steering "binding up" during a turn when the brake pedal was released.
Do you know if there's any way to mount the reservoir remotely because the supercharger is directly on top of the cap for the reservoir for some dumb reason

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured it out for anyone wanting to do this swap! Find a setup that goes with your dash ie if u have a 96+ go with that and if you have a 94 and under go with that this is important, because the pedal and hydroboost unit itself must match,the difference is in the pedal its bent in a way to not hit the column mount on a 96+ its pin to mount the hydroboost rod is also longer then the 94 and under.the rod on the hydroboost has a flat end instead of round so you can put in the 96+ brake switch. That's pretty much it!