Hydro boost ps pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
My C3500 power steering pump has whined since I got it. Fluid is full, but the whining is getting worse and now with some of the noises, the brake pedal fluctuates Red Head and Blue Top websites aren't ultra detailed, and rebuilding mine seems to cost more than getting one of theirs.

Just seeing what's out there. Thanks!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My C3500 power steering pump has whined since I got it. Fluid is full, but the whining is getting worse and now with some of the noises, the brake pedal fluctuates Red Head and Blue Top websites aren't ultra detailed, and rebuilding mine seems to cost more than getting one of theirs.

Just seeing what's out there. Thanks!

I haven't looked at their sites for pumps, but I'd assume that since they do rebuilds that the cost for theirs includes a core, which you'd get back once you shipped yours to them.

There's also that place in AZ that was mentioned a week or so ago.

Call them Tuesday?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PS whine you say? That's how mine failed!...on my way to the landfill with like 3,000 lbs rock and busted concrete.

The shaft on the pump broke... actually seemed like I found some forums on the later trucks also doing this.

I'd say it's time to replace it, unless you feel like rebuilding it yourself. Don't want to have brake and power steering assist gone on you. I replaced mine with the local parts store, and it's working okay.

I think think there's a popular swap from the GMT 900 trucks? I've seen it here, not sure if that's for the 1500s, maybe the brake booster? Can't remember at the moment? Lol

Last edited:

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks since I checked Redhead and Blue Top's websites. Iirc, one didn't even mention the 3500 hydro boost and the other seemed to want to "build" (add a couple of holes for lines?) a pump out of a standard pump.
I don't know my arse from a hole in the ground, but my pump is correct for my truck. I'd like to keep it that way. I will hit up a couple of yards to see if I can find a 3500 in the meantime.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they actually different? I've never wondered that.

On my GMT 800 1500 truck when I got a replacement PS pump, the local parts store must have given me a hydroboost PS, because it had that extra return nipple. At the time I did not know until it was already installed. I wound up hooking up a piece of hose with a plug and hose clamps.

Eventually I got the PS pump warrantied, but I think I ran it like that for like 1.5 years.