Hydraulic system cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, This is a stretch putting this post in this section (it is part of the hydraulics in the brakes lol)…
Is this cooler for the hydraulic brake system (as pictured
You must be registered for see images attach
)?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That appears to be the power steering cooler. there are 2 styles that I know of from the factory. That one and one that is a tube that goes inside the drivers side frame rail

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks! I wonder why the power steering system needs a cooler? I guess due to a heavy towing load it stresses the power steering more?

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I wonder why the power steering system needs a cooler? I guess due to a heavy towing load it stresses the power steering more?
A power steering system can easily reach 300-400psi of pressure, and even more depending on the vehicle. I'm not 100% too sure what these trucks run, but I digress. That high of pressure means there is a lot of heat that builds up within the fluid. And the fluid actually starts to break down around 230~ degrees Fahrenheit. So the cooler the fluid stays, the longer you can go not only for servicing the fluid, but also keeping the power steering system working properly.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A power steering system can easily reach 300-400psi of pressure, and even more depending on the vehicle. I'm not 100% too sure what these trucks run, but I digress. That high of pressure means there is a lot of heat that builds up within the fluid. And the fluid actually starts to break down around 230~ degrees Fahrenheit. So the cooler the fluid stays, the longer you can go not only for servicing the fluid, but also keeping the power steering system working properly.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The trucks with that air-to-air cooler as pictured are typically the hydroboost trucks, so the pump (and fluid) are definitely working harder, powering not just your steering but your brake booster as well.

Richard

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes it is a hydroboost truck..I assume it is a fairly simple system. the reason I ask is that I am using a universal wiring harness (Speedway brand)