Hughes Performance 4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because I just know he's going to come back and say something about how I ignored his statement about the GMPP 70E being "rated" for marginally (being generous there) higher input torque numbers than a stock 80E...

Let's just assume that those numbers from GM can be treated as gospel. They can't, because my 260lb/ft 4.3L has murdered two 60Es in cold blood, but let's live in fantasy land for a minute. The only place I can find boasting the input torque numbers he posted for a 70E is GM's site, specifically referring to the brand new GMPP part numbers. Every other resource puts a stock 70E at 400lb/ft even, meaning apples to apples the 440lb/ft 80E comes out on top. That's not even getting into gearbox torque or GVWR ratings.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because I just know he's going to come back and say something about how I ignored his statement about the GMPP 70E being "rated" for marginally (being generous there) higher input torque numbers than a stock 80E...

Let's just assume that those numbers from GM can be treated as gospel. They can't, because my 260lb/ft 4.3L has murdered two 60Es in cold blood, but let's live in fantasy land for a minute. The only place I can find boasting the input torque numbers he posted for a 70E is GM's site, specifically referring to the brand new GMPP part numbers. Every other resource puts a stock 70E at 400lb/ft even, meaning apples to apples the 440lb/ft 80E comes out on top. That's not even getting into gearbox torque or GVWR ratings.

There's no such thing as a "stock" 70E, that's the point. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
A 70E is a 60E modified specifically to improve torque handling capacity. Why in the hell would GM make the damned thing, for that purpose, and then lie about the numbers. Especially since they warranty it. Do you think GM gives away free warranty service and replacements for fun? No, they're run by bean counters and they in fact probably underrated it slightly to give themselves some margin and reduce warranty claims. As for "every other source" who gives a damn, what do they know? And how many of them are also trying to sell you another product instead?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As for "every other source" who gives a damn, what do they know? And how many of them are also trying to sell you another product instead?

None, I was referring to factory GM service manuals, among other things. Now please stop digging this thread up.

I knew exactly what a 70E was three weeks ago before you rage'd about me calling you out for not reading the thread and left.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm....

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/CPSZZ4274L70E.html

GM Performance Parts ZZ247/480 Connect & Cruise Crate Powertrain System W/ 4L70-E
Engine Specifications

Big Block V8 427 cu in
480 HP @ 6,000 RPM
490 lb-ft @ 3,800 RPM
10.1:1 compression Ratio

Transmission Specifications

4L70-E four-speed automatic
Five-pinion gearsets
3.06 first gear ratio, 0.70 overdrive ratio
30-3/4 inches long (approx.)​

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats, you found one more.

The fact remains that no one in their right mind would ever modify driveshafts and/or transfer cases to go from an 80E to a 70E in one of these trucks. Which has been my point this entire time. Which you cannot seem to fathom after over a page and a half of bullshitting.

Let it die, man.

tim tanner

Reaction score
Well seeing as now my 80e just took a dump I have a history will the 60e I’ll be rebuilding with better then stock parts adding a transgo hd2 kit getting a bigger bw cooler and I’m adding a derell spin on filter and getting a temp gauge also getting the tc rebuilt for peace of mind

I have built manny 60es had s10 a Colorado and 1500

I use aem trans temp gauge in my Colorado love it old school and digital I was able to use the temp to find out I had a problem before it went

Using the spin on filter is nice it adds a lil more cooling but is far better then the filter in the pan and it’s much easier to change

Hope this helps