HP tuners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You sir know your Chevy trucks lol. you are correct my truck is a 1997 but when I did my swap 2 years ago the doner truck was a 1998 k3500 GMC and there was A LOT of difference between the models... None of the firewall plugs wer the same so had to change basically all the wireing. Front to back. Under the hood, dash harness, steering colom, headlights, so my truck has all the 98 wiring and the 4 plug ECM as well. What a job.

Cool, thanks for the response!

I was secretly hoping that HPTuners had adopted support for the '96-'97 PCMs. :lol: I would love to buy tuning software for my '97s, but unfortunately the only real option I can find is Jet's DST (formerly TunerCAT) and it doesn't look nearly as nice as HPTuners.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You sir know your Chevy trucks lol. you are correct my truck is a 1997 but when I did my swap 2 years ago the doner truck was a 1998 k3500 GMC and there was A LOT of difference between the models... None of the firewall plugs wer the same so had to change basically all the wireing. Front to back. Under the hood, dash harness, steering colom, headlights, so my truck has all the 98 wiring and the 4 plug ECM as well. What a job.

I've been pretty sporadic with my laptop work lately, but pm me your email address and I can send you a tune you can copy as soon as I have some time. Mangone, supercharged, and l31 are all very knowledgeable on these trucks, so amoung the crew I'm sure we can get it running well.

Your truck is stock right?

Learn how to use the compare function if you haven't already, Google is your friend.

T-Bone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you ill pm you rite away. My truck was stock... I purchased A Whipple SC from another member on this site. But it was not as a complete kit as advertised... so thats been the delay now for a while. But now I got everything mostly sorted new injectors, new fuel pump, fresh tune up. Truck fires up and runs good. The plan at this point was to buy HPTuners and ditch the whippletronics. I should have started A bulid thred years ago I know. Ill haft to sort out some photos and start one at some point soon.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you ill pm you rite away. My truck was stock... I purchased A Whipple SC from another member on this site. But it was not as a complete kit as advertised... so thats been the delay now for a while. But now I got everything mostly sorted new injectors, new fuel pump, fresh tune up. Truck fires up and runs good. The plan at this point was to buy HPTuners and ditch the whippletronics. I should have started A bulid thred years ago I know. Ill haft to sort out some photos and start one at some point soon.
You're probably going to want a 2 bar map sensor and convert to a 2 bar os. You probably haven't gotten that far have you?

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have hptuners and have bought credits for my 98 5.7 but I haven't tried to tune it yet. If anyone is reading this and would like to share a tune for a 5.7 with no mods I would appreciate it. Most of my tuning experience is with LS1 and the 3.6L.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have hptuners and have bought credits for my 98 5.7 but I haven't tried to tune it yet. If anyone is reading this and would like to share a tune for a 5.7 with no mods I would appreciate it. Most of my tuning experience is with LS1 and the 3.6L.

If you are just wanting it for a comparison, hopefully someones chimes in. Otherwise the tuning process with the black box is essentially the same.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are just wanting it for a comparison, hopefully someones chimes in. Otherwise the tuning process with the black box is essentially the same.

I have a file that I ran in a 5.7 with a F-car LT1 cam, 1.6 rockers, long tube headers, high flow cats, dual exhaust and a ported intake manifold in a 99 Suburban. Stock 4L60E with a shift kit, Sonnax billet servos and S10 converter.

Jeffro87

Reaction score
I am running 454 stock with 4l80, got it to run well with transmission shift points tweaked, however the faster i can get it, the more i cant get it to idle properly.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's how I think you could:
The black box and 0411 VE graphs look the same, as far as how they look in 3D. I would find a black box 350 tune and a stock express van tune and see if there was a way to accurately convert, directly, any number in any cell of the express tune to what value the 0411 would express.

Once you have your formula, make a conversion chart/excel sheet and copy/paste your blackbox info to retain your VE and most of your other info. This could cut some time needed for you to tune.

Took a stab at this, seems fruitless:

You must be registered for see images attach

Shape is different and wouldn't correctly move over even with a formula. Seems like the newer expresses were a little better engineered in the tune. Maybe it'd be worth taking an express van tune and converting it backwards? Curious to know how the truck would run.

But yeah, I'm not going any further than this unless someone wants to be a guinea pig for a VE map in their black box.

There are a few in the repository. Found a tune actually from a EU-spec tahoe, but there's nothing different about it from the US tune.