How to tell if I lost gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello

2000 k3500 5.7 4l80e auto

So I replaced my wheel bearings and my truck rolls way better now...could probably use some bushings replaced but for now it steers and moves fine.

Question...I know I need my shift cable replaced because its got too much slack. I cant shift into 1st from the column, but I can manually flip it into 1st at the transmission.

I still feel like the truck is super slow from a start though, is it possible I don't have 1st gear? How do I check if Im going straight into second or third?

I have a bluetooth scan tool app on my phone but I dont recall shift positions being an available option to choose.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello

2000 k3500 5.7 4l80e auto

So I replaced my wheel bearings and my truck rolls way better now...could probably use some bushings replaced but for now it steers and moves fine.

Question...I know I need my shift cable replaced because its got too much slack. I cant shift into 1st from the column, but I can manually flip it into 1st at the transmission.

I still feel like the truck is super slow from a start though, is it possible I don't have 1st gear? How do I check if Im going straight into second or third?

I have a bluetooth scan tool app on my phone but I dont recall shift positions being an available option to choose.
4L80Es are slower off the line than a similar truck with a 4L60E. First gear is a lower ratio on the '80, to help get the truck and whatever it's hauling, moving from a stop. This can be alleviated somewhat by getting in the throttle a little harder...but I don't recommend that unless you KNOW the trans and drive line are sound. And where my truck usually goes, it's not advisable to do this because of the traffic. As Schurkey mentioned, you should be able to feel each shift. I can on my trucks. If you have a tachometer in your truck (and you can watch it and still drive safely) you should see a little rpm variation, a dip and then a rise, with each shift.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks! I havent thought about the truck just being slower in general, on top of having a ton of rough miles on it.
I wouldn't have thought about it either, until I had both transmissions to compare! My crew cab also seems to have a little stiffer throttle, I imagine since the truck has half the miles my Burb does. Both are Vortecs, 350s. I don't ever tow anything bigger than a double axle u haul trailer, so I don't need a big block or diesel. The 350s get 10mpg in town driving and that's bad enough to feed!
On the performance end of things, either one will get up to 75-80 on the freeway fairly easily, just takes them a few seconds more than a little car, since they have more weight to move!