How to reset TCU on 94' 4L60E?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently ordered a new transmission for my truck, and I've been told by shops and trusted friends that as the transmission ages, the TCU adapts to the transmission as it ages and parts start to wear. Because I'm putting a brand new transmission in the truck, I'd like to get the TCU reset so it can start fresh, but I can' t find a good answer on how to reset a OBD1 TCU like mine. I've been told that disconnecting the battery won't reset it and that I'll need some kind of 90's era scan tool. Would a dealership be able to do it or is there some other secret trick to it?

Thanks for any help.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean ECU? Also called PCM or ECM. I don't think what you describe is true on this generation of trucks. I'm pretty sure shift points are only based on things like load, throttle, speed, fluid temperature, etc.

I think on the 6 speeds and later they do have some logic built in that adapts or learns your driver style and makes small adjustments. But it's based on driving styles and not on transmission wear.

If for some reason you need to make an adjustment from transmission side, you can do it via HP Tuners or similar.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was dicking around with my '03 Trailblazer, fairly sure I saw a menu item on my scan tool for transmission adaptions. Also a way to reset them.

I haven't looked for that on my '97 K2500. And I don't have a 94 C/K to check.