How to Replace oil filter adapter gasket & o-ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I was always taught that you put the old (presumably covered in oil) and new filter rubber gasket to gasket to coat the new filter's gasket with oil.
...um...sounded simple in my head, but reading it looks confusing. Clearly a good place for a picture I don't have.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always wipe off the seating surface. If the gasket comes off the filter and sticks, you'll find it. Put a coating of silicone spray or oil on the new filter's seal. If the seal's damaged, you'll find it.

Also, best filter pliers ever. I have a different brand but if you have a small pair and a large pair, I haven't found a spin-on oil filter they won't grab.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPUKG6?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5867-16-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPUKG6?th=1

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
As long as you don't get any old oil in the new filter, guess that would work. I always put fresh oil in the filter, so it's at least half full. That way on initial startup there's new oil going into the pump (at least that's what Dad said anyway). As I'm doing this, I put some on the gasket and in the mounting threads.
One time getting a stuck filter off, I had to use a chain pipe wrench (piece of square tube with what looks like a timing/ bicycle chain on it, twist to make tighter). I think the one Dad had came from Lisle, lots of companies have something similar. Another time on our 84 square Burb, I had to use a screwdriver and a hammer to get the filter off.
Worst one was a Ford Windstar minivan (old work's company van). That one required about half the toolbox to get removed, came off in 4 pieces IIRC. And no room whatsoever to work didn't help! I think that's when we got the chain wrench.....think I had to beat the base off with a long drift punch and a big hammer!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always put fresh oil in the filter, so it's at least half full. That way on initial startup there's new oil going into the pump (at least that's what Dad said anyway).
Oil flows from pan, to pump, to filter. Not from filter to pump.

Lots of folks put clean oil into a fresh filter--reduces the time the engine doesn't have oil pressure on start-up after an oil change (by about one or two seconds)

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I have read this entire thread correctly, I believe I just need a Melling Oil Filter Adapter MFA350 for my 92 C2500 RWD truck....right? I don't tow any heavy loads with this truck and the factory oil cooler hoses, housing are all leaking. Do I still need to consider an aftermarket oil cooler?