How to Replace Blower Motor Resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The blower on my 97 K1500 started squeaking in the fall on cold start (even though it sits in a heated shop). I ordered a AC Delco motor from RA and when the box arrived I threw it in the floorboard of the truck to remind me to change it ( I don’t drive the 97 very much). After sitting there for a week with the new blower sitting in plain sight of the original, it has stopped squeaking.

This was in December of 2018, it hasn’t squeaked since.........

legendman

Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread.
My 99 K2500 was only working on high.
Grabbed a resistor out a 96 parts cab I have, went to change the resistor and had it almost all the way out and it started working. LOL Put it all back together with the original resistor and it's been working.
Not sure how you all got that resistor out of there, it really tight.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk if this thread still gets any traffic, but I have a ac problem myself:
Was driving home the other day and noticed the air stopped working on a couple fan speeds. Next day, it wasn't working on any speed. Swapped out the resistor and nothing. Replaced the blower motor relay and even the motor itself and still nothing. I Replaced the control module about six months ago, so I don't think it's that. Any ideas on what I may be overlooking?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Was driving home the other day and noticed the air stopped working on a couple fan speeds. Next day, it wasn't working on any speed. Swapped out the resistor and nothing. Replaced the blower motor relay and even the motor itself and still nothing. I Replaced the control module about six months ago, so I don't think it's that. Any ideas on what I may be overlooking?
Yes! ...telling us what year model, because it matters on most subjects.

But I'll go ahead and just say if it's a 1995-up, the fan switch could be bad, or the harness connection to it could be melted. The switch is replaceable on its own with the 1995-up controls; you don't have to replace the whole unit.

Richard

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume you have sorted this out by now. How about telling us what you did to fix it !

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad that worked out with the resistor. What about @Aarong23 ? Last we heard his problem was most likely a control head connection or a ground. What happened with that one? My one gripe about this forum is that there are too many questions asked, good answers given but no solution ever posted. We need to know what works!

Ksmith285

Reaction score
To the gentleman who made this thread you sir a god dam rock star I was kind of figuring this was the issue with my truck once I turned on the ac and could smell something burning would of taken me a lot longer to find/ remove/ replace hats off to you

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread.
My 99 K2500 was only working on high.
Grabbed a resistor out a 96 parts cab I have, went to change the resistor and had it almost all the way out and it started working. LOL Put it all back together with the original resistor and it's been working.
Not sure how you all got that resistor out of there, it really tight.
Yeah I was noticing that on Rawhide the crew cab, when I had the blower motor out to check it. Definitely gotta use the 1/4 drive ratchet and shorty sockets on this....