How to Replace Blower Motor Resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Hey guys this is a common problem so I thought I would copy over something that I posted a while back on wiki answers.
If your Heater/AC only works on high then this is the problem.

The Blower Motor Resistor is definitely on the passenger side behind the glove box. If you have a bit of patience you will be able to do it yourself.

1. First detach the glove box by removing the plastic restraint on the left side and depressing both sides and pulling down. Be careful, it breaks really easily.

Once the glove box is out of the way use a flashlight and look directly on top of the air box. There is a metal bracket held in with two small screws with a relay on it (I used a 7mm).

2. Undo the screws and carefully push the bracket upwards, there is a plug connecting two wires held in by a plastic nub. 3. Remove the nub by squeezing it and pulling on it lightly. 4. Push the wire and any others in there that you can to the side to get them out of the way. 5. Next unplug the relay.

This should free up the metal bracket and let you remove it. Use a flashlight and look directly behind where the relay was. This is the resistor. It has a group of wires plugged into it and is held in by two more of those little screws.

6. Unplug the wires. I used a flathead to carefully pry open the little latch and push up on the wire. Move the wires to the side. Try to wedge them carefully so they stay out of the way. 7. Use a little wrench and undo the little screws. 8. Remove the old resistor.

I suggest taking your time with the old one to try and find a plan of attack to get it out/in. There isn't much room. Replace with the new one and put everything back. Good Luck!

If you get frustrated and go for a beer, to find tools, lunch whatever, I suggest that you unplug the little light that usually illuminates the glove box.

kon68

Reaction score
Thanks I'm having that problem where do I buy that resister I know about the module but not the resister?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I know my heater core is fine and my AC is cold and charged, but my blower doesn't work sometimes, it will be working fine on the way to work, but I go to start it during one of my breaks, and the blower wont work, hot/cold/slow/fast/AC Button on/Recirc button on.. Nothing, but I can drive it 35 miles home and start it the next morning and it will work.

It's pissing me off because I freeze my balls off some days without that heat.

What is it?

350VortecSSCT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually the control module goes on these, but the blower moter resistor and lower motor relay goes...open up your glove compartment, take it off the track and look on the plastic hardware, BOTH ARE SITTING RIGHT ON TOP< REPLACE! next if that doesnt work, check the connection on your control module...Now this is the heart wrenching part. ALL FIRES ON GMT400 MODELS ARE DUE TO THE WIRING HARNESS MELTING OUT AND CATCHING FIRE! Replace Control Module and Piggyback connector if needed@!

kiss4afrog

Reaction score
I know my heater core is fine and my AC is cold and charged, but my blower doesn't work sometimes, it will be working fine on the way to work, but I go to start it during one of my breaks, and the blower wont work, hot/cold/slow/fast/AC Button on/Recirc button on.. Nothing, but I can drive it 35 miles home and start it the next morning and it will work.

It's pissing me off because I freeze my balls off some days without that heat.

What is it?

I know you have to have fixed it by now but what did you end up finding on you system?

CinchUp

Reaction score
My ac will work for about a minute or two then stops blowing air and makes a loud constant, sort of low pitched squeal, does anyone know where this problem may be coming from?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I know you have to have fixed it by now but what did you end up finding on you system?

I just let it go, it would only go out at random times, but soon after would work again.

I did however just recently take my glove box out and look at the blower motor and condenser, they are both completely spotless, im thinking all the heat problem was, was the wires had a bad connection to the blower motor, because no settings would allow it to work.

kiss4afrog

Reaction score
My ac will work for about a minute or two then stops blowing air and makes a loud constant, sort of low pitched squeal, does anyone know where this problem may be coming from?

Sounds like the bearings on the blower motor might be seizing up. It spins for a while and builds some heat and them starts to slow down from the friction. BUT, if that's the case you should be blowing a fuse for it to turn so slow you don't get any air out of the system. Best thing to do is pull the motor out and hook it up to a battery for a couple minutes and see what it does. Check the connections to the motor while you're at it.