How to remove firewall connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesper

Reaction score
Hi! Im having a problem with my rh rear indicator and I want to remove this connector to measure inside.
How do I remove it? There is a 1/4 inch screw in center but that one just goes round without getting loose.

Thanks a lot, Jesper

You must be registered for see images

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this on a TBI?

On my 98 (which looks a little different) there is a black harness with center torx bit in the center. The bolt is captive. That unscrews and the black harness is pried off. Yours may be similar, so it may be worth trying to rock it back and forth to see if it will come off. Don’t go animal on it, obviously.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That block comes out as an assembly, and although as east302 said his newer truck has a slightly different setup, it's similar. The screw is captive; what's holding the block together is a bunch of black, tarry goop sealant that is protecting the pins from oxidation.

Honestly I would not start at that disconnect unless you've already exhausted all other troubleshooting areas. Turn signal problems, especially rear signals, are almost always found near the back of the truck. Likely suspects are bad taillight circuit boards, bad rear lamp harness grounds, bad add-on trailer wiring, even the T style where they plug in like a factory harness can cause problems - I've seen it.

So without any further details, my advice would be tighten that screw back and concentrate closer to the problem area.

Richard

TW97C1500

Reaction score
Is this on a TBI?

On my 98 (which looks a little different) there is a black harness with center torx bit in the center. The bolt is captive. That unscrews and the black harness is pried off. Yours may be similar, so it may be worth trying to rock it back and forth to see if it will come off. Don’t go animal on it, obviously.

East,
In your pic, in the upper white part of the bulkhead connector, at the far right, there is a brown wire with a yellow wire below it, and a purple wire below that. Would you happen to know where that brown wire goes? I have my wires all apart and don't remember, and can't find, where it connects. It has a single white female connector on the end, and the connector is wide like it goes on some type of male spade.

Oh, nevermind, I see now, that is a pasted picture, not of your own truck.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
East,
In your pic, in the upper white part of the bulkhead connector, at the far right, there is a brown wire with a yellow wire below it, and a purple wire below that. Would you happen to know where that brown wire goes? I have my wires all apart and don't remember, and can't find, where it connects. It has a single white female connector on the end, and the connector is wide like it goes on some type of male spade.

Oh, nevermind, I see now, that is a pasted picture, not of your own truck.

The photo was of my truck from when I pulled the dash. I have that white connector as well with the brown wire. It isn’t connected to anything and looks like it once had electrical tape or something covering the end. Not sure what it is for. The fuel pump test lead is kind of near it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've dealt with that connector before. It's an asspain, but very doable. As previously indicated, I'd start elsewhere with the troubleshooting.

TW97C1500

Reaction score
The photo was of my truck from when I pulled the dash. I have that white connector as well with the brown wire. It isn’t connected to anything and looks like it once had electrical tape or something covering the end. Not sure what it is for. The fuel pump test lead is kind of near it.

I have learned apparently it is for connecting a diagnostic computer for the ECM. It doesn't go to the ECM, it goes into the wiring bundle under the dash. Either that electrical path goes to the ECM or this wire is the power source for whatever diagnostic computer / device gets connected. Hmm, it might serve to complete a circuit through the diag device so it can send signals through the electrical system.

I'm just glad to know I don't have to continue searching in that confined space trying to find the connection point for it. Reconnect a few more wires and I'm ready to fire it back up. Thanks for the confirmation that it is not connected to anything.

One thing that added to my confusion is that I looked at a 96 and on one of the 2 larger wire looms going to the fuse/relay center, a wire came out of the bottom and had a black connector, much like the white connector in question, that had a wire connected to it. Mine has the same wire & connector coming out of the loom, but apparently I don't have a wire to connect to it. That 96 was all together, so I couldn't follow the wires.

Last edited:

Tonyhuff

Reaction score
Is this on a TBI?

Do you know how the white connector unplugs above the black bulkhead connector TIA

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Do you know how the white connector unplugs above the black bulkhead connector TIA
this is a 3yr old thread, but the white connector is a pass through it connects to other things under the dashboard. it unbolts and can be pushed under the dash.