How to modify the 95+ Warning Chime Module, plus other info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I compiled some of this info when I used the terminals for the warning chime module to power my trans temp gauge, but didn't see a need to post this until now. This post will show you which pins on the module you need to remove so that the chime only works in certain scenarios (headlights on, key-in-ignition, and/or seatbelt unlatched)

If you completely remove the module, it makes it very easy to grab power for gauges, auxiliary radios, interior lighting, etc. Standard 1/4" male "quick connect" terminals will connect to the female terminals for the module just fine.

The module is a small black box connected to a larger gray terminal block located underneath the driver's side dash, just to the left of where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. It simply pulls straight out from the block, after prying the locking tab away.

Here is my rough illustration of the 95+ chime module pinout, this shows the connections of the terminal block under the dash, NOT the module which will be reversed. Descriptions of each terminal are below, colors represent the factory wires going to them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ignition On - Powered when the ignition switch is on, but not when in accessory mode. Powered by the "Gages" fuse.
Key-In Switch - Grounded when the key is inserted into the ignition switch and the driver's side door is open. Remove this pin from the module to disable the keys-in-ignition warning.
Seat Belt Light In - Illuminates the seat belt light on the gauge cluster when powered.
Battery - Powered at all times by the "Stop/Haz" fuse.
Ground - No explanation needed.
Dimmer Output - Controlled by the dimmer switch and powered by the "Illum" fuse. Remove this pin to disable the headlights-on warning.
Seat Belt Switch - Grounded when the driver side seat belt is *not* inserted. Remove this pin to disable the seatbelt-unlatched warning.

Odd how the trigger for the headlights-on warning is wired through the dimmer switch. I haven't tested it, but that may mean the warning won't work if the dimmer is set low enough. The benefit here is that it's a good place to grab power for gauge lighting, or whatever else you want to dim with the rest of the dash.

The seat belt light will light up whenever power is applied to the Seat Belt Light In terminal. One could probably use this to improvise a warning light for something else. Also, if you want to keep the seatbelt chime but disable the light, you could remove this pin. A better option may be to just remove the bulb from the cluster, since that would be more easily reversible.

Here's an example of one module where I removed the pins for key-in-ignition and seatbelt. I had to resort to a die grinder to cut the pins cleanly, they are tough!

HTH

barry_g

Reaction score
found this thread form the web search.
very helpful, thank you.

I am switching to lumina/camaro etc version.. (part# 14101255)
taking the steady tone away.
my box is actually errored, it is even crossbleeding functions. Rather funny.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
found this thread form the web search.
very helpful, thank you.

I am switching to lumina/camaro etc version.. (part# 14101255)
taking the steady tone away.
my box is actually errored, it is even crossbleeding functions. Rather funny.

Is this a plug and play change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Another golden screwdriver mod to the camaro chime:

OMG the volume of the chime drives me crazy. If you can crack open the module and increase the gap between the metal bar and the piezo diaphragm, the volume can be reduced drastically but still usable as a chime. Does not take much.

How it works:
The gap determines how much of the magnetic field from coil is on the diaphragm, hence the volume. I just filled the end supports with some double sided sticky foam and satisfied me for now. The pressure plate on the diaphragm edge is there to set the tone.

golden screwdriver mod...fixing something that doesn't need it...one who tries to tweak something they don't understand and eventually makes it worse. :p

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I compiled some of this info when I used the terminals for the warning chime module to power my trans temp gauge, but didn't see a need to post this until now. This post will show you which pins on the module you need to remove so that the chime only works in certain scenarios (headlights on, key-in-ignition, and/or seatbelt unlatched)

If you completely remove the module, it makes it very easy to grab power for gauges, auxiliary radios, interior lighting, etc. Standard 1/4" male "quick connect" terminals will connect to the female terminals for the module just fine.

The module is a small black box connected to a larger gray terminal block located underneath the driver's side dash, just to the left of where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. It simply pulls straight out from the block, after prying the locking tab away.

Here is my rough illustration of the 95+ chime module pinout, this shows the connections of the terminal block under the dash, NOT the module which will be reversed. Descriptions of each terminal are below, colors represent the factory wires going to them.

Ignition On - Powered when the ignition switch is on, but not when in accessory mode. Powered by the "Gages" fuse.
Key-In Switch - Grounded when the key is inserted into the ignition switch and the driver's side door is open. Remove this pin from the module to disable the keys-in-ignition warning.
Seat Belt Light In - Illuminates the seat belt light on the gauge cluster when powered.
Battery - Powered at all times by the "Stop/Haz" fuse.
Ground - No explanation needed.
Dimmer Output - Controlled by the dimmer switch and powered by the "Illum" fuse. Remove this pin to disable the headlights-on warning.
Seat Belt Switch - Grounded when the driver side seat belt is *not* inserted. Remove this pin to disable the seatbelt-unlatched warning.

Odd how the trigger for the headlights-on warning is wired through the dimmer switch. I haven't tested it, but that may mean the warning won't work if the dimmer is set low enough. The benefit here is that it's a good place to grab power for gauge lighting, or whatever else you want to dim with the rest of the dash.

The seat belt light will light up whenever power is applied to the Seat Belt Light In terminal. One could probably use this to improvise a warning light for something else. Also, if you want to keep the seatbelt chime but disable the light, you could remove this pin. A better option may be to just remove the bulb from the cluster, since that would be more easily reversible.

Here's an example of one module where I removed the pins for key-in-ignition and seatbelt. I had to resort to a die grinder to cut the pins cleanly, they are tough!

HTH

Cool! I like this. I've been wanting to do away with door open and key in chime but keep the headlights on feature. Believe me, I need the headlights on feature..........

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Another golden screwdriver mod to the camaro chime:

OMG the volume of the chime drives me crazy. If you can crack open the module and increase the gap between the metal bar and the piezo diaphragm, the volume can be reduced drastically but still usable as a chime. Does not take much.

How it works:
The gap determines how much of the magnetic field from coil is on the diaphragm, hence the volume. I just filled the end supports with some double sided sticky foam and satisfied me for now. The pressure plate on the diaphragm edge is there to set the tone.

golden screwdriver mod...fixing something that doesn't need it...one who tries to tweak something they don't understand and eventually makes it worse. :p

How would you adjust this strip? When I did mine, it was kind of loose, and just went back to it's original position.