How to: Install the PAC AAI-GM9 aux input interface into a GM truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think its well worth it. I added XM radio to the Kenwood deck in my Sentra and was paying way more for service. So as soon as I saw the phone app I cancelled that. Plus you can take it with you from car to car or your home.

Yea thats what I was thinking

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
bumping a old thread.

Where did you put the adapter?

This is where I ended up putting mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is how I installed the PAC AAI-GM9 in my '98 Silverado. This auxiliary audio input will work in many 1995-2002 GM vehicles with factory radios that have a working slave unit such as factory CD changer, separate factory cassette player, or separate single CD player. A CD or cassette must be inserted in the slave unit and playing in order to use the auxiliary input. I got it on eBay for $35 shipped.

More details can be found here:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=99&CategoryID=24

I chose to go with this adapter for a few reasons:

1. Maintain the stock appearance of the factory radio.
2. Direct audio input to factory radio for maximum sound quality
3. Comes with a three position switch which allows you to switch between 2 auxiliary inputs and the factory slave unit.
4. Completely plug & play.

Installation:

The most difficult part of the installation is removing the dash panel. It can be a little tricky. Just be patient and take your time. You don’t want to break anything.

First, turn off the passenger airbag if you haven’t done so already. Then, tilt the steering wheel and shifter all the way down and engage the emergency brake.

Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal. You don’t want to blow any fuses, shock yourself, or set off the airbags while you are working behind the dash panel!

Ok, now we need to remove the dash panel. Carefully pull on the upper left corner of the dash panel until the clips are released.

Now, remove the headlight switch box from the lower left corner of the dash panel. I found that if you release the tab behind the dash panel you can push the switch box from the front until it separates from the dash panel. Here you can see the headlight switch box separated from the dash panel.

You must be registered for see images

Next, pull the upper right corner and the bottom of the dash panel until the clips are released. Just take your time and gently do a different section at a time until the entire dash panel is free. Don’t try and completely pull off the dash panel yet. We still have some connectors to unplug!

Look down into the opening between the dash panel and the dash. You will see an orange tab connected to the yellow passenger airbag connector. This is a locking pin that must be removed before the connector can be unplugged. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

Remove any other electrical connectors. Here you see the cargo lamp and passenger airbag switches completely removed.

Now you can remove the dash panel and set it out of the way.

To remove the radio push down on the arms on each side of the radio and pull it out. Here is what it will look like once the dash panel is removed.

Remove the factory 9 pin connector from radio and insert the AAI-GM9 male plug in its place. Then, plug the factory 9 pin connector into the AAI-GM9 female connector. You can see where I removed the 9 pin connector from the radio in the picture below.

Plug the RCA cables from first audio source into the Aux1 input of the AAI-GM9. If there is a second audio source, plug the RCA’s into the Aux2 input on the other side. As you can see below, I chose to use a RCA to mini-jack (white cable) so I can connect it to my iPhone through the headphone jack. You can also see the toggle switch (black wire) that you use to switch between Aux1/CD/Aux2.

Finally, mount the toggle switch and aux input cable in a suitable location. I just ran the toggle switch to the glove box and the auxilary input cable between the glove box and the ash tray. I store the cable in the ash tray when I'm not using it.

The cable that I used is Dave Navone's N-iPRCA. http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=368

It keeps my iPhone charged and provides very good sound quality. I just had to tap into 12v & ground (black & orange wires) for the cable.

While I had the dash panel off I also tapped into the front speakers for a LOC that I will install in the near future (grey, tan, light green, & dark green wires)

As an added bonus, I was able to slide my iPhone up through the bottom of the cup holder and use it as a mount.

Overall I am very pleased with the PAC AAI-GM9 & N-iPRCA combo. The sound quality is very good and I still have the option to add another source like satellite radio or possibly even bluetooth to the 2nd aux input.

Great write up Rude Jude the $hit BTW!

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, thanks. I listen to the all out show everyday. Rude Jude is funny as hell!

burn

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, I recently ordered the adapter and it should be here any day. I recently got a 2000 Jimmy which still has the stock radio and I believe 6 CD changer. I am hoping that the sound quality will be as good as if I had a new radio/head unit with an AUX input. I did salvage my older truck's head unit which I could always put in, but I figured I'd give this thing a go. Nothing can beat hooking up my 32gb Motorola Droid Razr to play my music library... I would like to invest in an early model 30GB iPod to strictly keep in the truck, but having the phone connected to the truck is always safe when driving, the speaker phone worked great in my old truck. I will post pictures and let you know how my install goes.

Reaction score
I installed this the other day just as the OP did. (Awesome write up by the way, took any question out of what I was doing.) Cord wrapped up in the ash tray, switch routed to the far right side of the glove box through a hole. Its kinda divided so it should keep it separate from all my crap. Will be kinda hard to reach, though, I'm trying to find a good location to subtly mount that ugly toggle..might have to solder in a more eye appealing rocker.

I did have the itch too have a dash mounted female plug like on newer cars so off to eBay I went:

My truck is 2WD so I picked up an extra blank where the four wheel drive switches are if your truck is so equipped. (Just in case I fudged mine up.) I also picked up an RCA female to headphone jack female adapter.

After some measuring I decided to hollow out the rectangular feature on the back leaving only two tabs. I drilled a hole a few thousandths bigger than the headphone jack OD.

I did have to sand a little of the sides of the adapter with some emery paper, it was too tight.

To give the epoxy a place to bite I took a cutoff wheel in my dremel and put 3 groves on each side of the adapter where it mates with the tabs. Then drilled two 3/32 holes in each tab on the dash blank for the epoxy to squish out to make a more mechanical joint. (I hope) I really wish I would have taken more pictures but in the heat of modifying I forgot.

This is the epoxy I used. It's to glue your thread inserts into carbon fiber arrows. I love this stuff. The only downside is it takes 24 hours to cure. Not saying this is the best stuff but its what I have.

This is the end result as it would be seen from the seat. I'm happy with how it looks. I haven't installed it yet, dont really feel like tearing the dash apart AGAIN when what I have is working just fine. Maybe on a rainy day when I dont have anything else to tinker with on the truck...like that ever happens :)

As much as I like the looks of wiring it this way I do see some down sides. There are a lot more connections, dont know if that really matters but when it comes to electrical connections I'm a fan of less is more.

I also dont know how the tabs on the dash blank will hold up to the repeated plugging/unplugging of the headphone jack. I suppose I should slap it in, in addition to my other cord and see. If the tabs or epoxy ever failed abandon the RCA cord in the dash and pop in a new blank.

Vince R

Reaction score
this is perfect! but any idea on why i cant view pics that the OP posted?

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would be great to be able to view the pictures because I am definitely planning on doing this. Great write up though!