How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
As long as there's a Class 2 Feed from the PCM to the DIC, it won't go to dashes mode - so as long as the ignition is in Run, you should have info. You did run a Class 2 Feed to pin 15, right? It also needs the VSS feed on pin 10...

You must be registered for see images attach

CarterK1500

Reaction score
As long as there's a Class 2 Feed from the PCM to the DIC, it won't go to dashes mode - so as long as the ignition is in Run, you should have info. You did run a Class 2 Feed to pin 15, right? It also needs the VSS feed on pin 10...

Correct, I have all the wires ran properly to their designated locations. the serial data is feeding off the purple wire at the OBD plug. I don’t understand why the MODE DIC doesn’t work with the compass or thermostat but the other DIC does. and does anyone recommend using the orange wire for a constant feed? i’ve tried it with and without it still no luck:(

CarterK1500

Reaction score
The difference between the DIC without mode and the one with is a matter of more than one wire difference. I believe I ran 7 wires to mine. It's most likely reading nothing because it doesn't sense that the truck is running.

I don’t understand why though. I did not change the wiring from the old DIC With the compass and thermostat. the only thing i did was Run the new Serial data feed which is what all the schematics i looked at said to do

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The orange wire is not needed at all (pin 14) -- open the DIC unit up and you'll find there aren't even any traces leaving that pin on the system board. I omitted it and mine still works great. The Trip Computer DIC for some reason requires the Class2 data to work, even the temp (I think the compass may still work tho). Do you have any sort of scan tool that you can use to verify the DLC pin 2 actually works? And how did you connect it to that wire?

CarterK1500

Reaction score
The orange wire is not needed at all (pin 14) -- open the DIC unit up and you'll find there aren't even any traces leaving that pin on the system board. I omitted it and mine still works great. The Trip Computer DIC for some reason requires the Class2 data to work, even the temp (I think the compass may still work tho). Do you have any sort of scan tool that you can use to verify the DLC pin 2 actually works? And how did you connect it to that wire?

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by DLC pin 2?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The data link connector, some call it the OBDII port, etc... Pin 2 is the purple wire.

CarterK1500

Reaction score
The data link connector, some call it the OBDII port, etc... Pin 2 is the purple wire.

I stripped the wire back and Soldered the feed to the DIC to the Purple #2 pin And yes i know it works because I’ve checked the live data on the truck with my scanner plenty of times before.

Last edited:

CarterK1500

Reaction score
I stripped the wire back and Soldered the feed to the DIC to the Purple #2 pin And yes i know it works because I’ve checked the live data on the truck with my scanner plenty of times before.

Well I just figured it out. After about 3 hours of trying to figure WTF the issue was i found it. The contact pin (the male end) in the DIC to the plug was bent over to Far and wasn’t making contact by less than a hair. Thank you guys so much for trying to help. It’s awesome to see a 10 year old thread still trying to help eachother out. GMT400 4evr

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Glad you got it! My stereo did that one, took for EVER to figure out why my left rear speaker would never work!

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just updated my truck thread about how I fixed a nonfictional DIC, so I figured I’d post it here too.

After checking the wiring about a dozen times, I decided it had to be internal. I pulled the module apart, and the failure was immediately obvious. The chips located in the upper right labeled 430 had cracked solder joints. I should have taken a before pic, but I was on a mission to fix this thing.

It was clear though, the chip all the way on the right wasn’t even making contact with the board on one side anymore. I reflowed the solder and I now have two working DICs.

Unknown to me at the time, this DIC taken from a short console Bravada, has a separate compass module (red connector). Make sure you get that too or the compass function will not work.