How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
GMT400 SUV console / GMT800 long console.
This is the console in my 02 Sierra. It's the large opening style, and is actually from a GMT400 SUV. The only difference is there is a small gap on the back where it meets the headliner (which you can't see in the regular cab). I have a Denali Driver Information Center custom mounted in mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

What year(s) Denali is this DIC out of?

Mr_Guns

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any of these DICs on ebay, and there are no junk yards around me with older vehicles. FML

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been having issues with this install. It did not work. All was wired up ok so i got another DIC, did not work. Recharged battery and it finally came on(battery was low). I put everything back together and it did not work again at all. Battery is full, wiring is fine, DIC works, nothing. Took. Dont get it.

Chester Young

Reaction score
Been having issues with this install. It did not work. All was wired up ok so i got another DIC, did not work. Recharged battery and it finally came on(battery was low). I put everything back together and it did not work again at all. Battery is full, wiring is fine, DIC works, nothing. Took. Dont get it.
They made different kinds of DIC’s through the years I just installed one in my fathers truck I did have an older one in there and the only thing it displayed was compass and temp but I put a 2000 to one from a Chevy Astro van in and it’s got a lot more features

CarterK1500

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys could shed some light on issues i’m having. A few months back i installed the Long blazer OHC and DIC in my 97 Z71. It was just the temp and compass DIC. The other day going through the junk yard i stumbled apon a blazer with the MODE DIC. so I pulled it out and the yard even gave it to me for free. Today I decided to wire it up i figured it would be clock work given that it should only be one extra wire and i needed to splice the new plug in. Well seems as if i was wrong. The DIC lights up and works. Reads the correct temp and directions when i start the truck but then after about ~20 seconds the temp goes away and goes to “- -“ and the compass does not work the either. Along with the other mode readings going from 0 to “- -“ after that period of time. If anyone has any suggestions i’d be very greatful!

Last edited:

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does that when I turn the key to on but the truck isn't running. It displays fine but reads what you're seeing after 30 seconds.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The difference between the DIC without mode and the one with is a matter of more than one wire difference. I believe I ran 7 wires to mine. It's most likely reading nothing because it doesn't sense that the truck is running.