How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Can’t get mine to work. Every thing comes on then 30-40 sec later - - I have read thread over and over check connections 4 or 5 times the only thing not connected is the compass module and it’s in a 99 3500 from 98 blazer and is full featured unit
If it's erroring out it means it's not getting data signal from the PCM. What engine does your truck have?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wires you need at the radio are as follows
Pin #6 ppl/white------>LED dimmer
#11 grey------>Illumination circut power
#9 drk green---------> RAP fuse supply
#16 drk green/white ---------->VSS
Is anyone else confused by this description of wiring or is it just me?
It's like the pin #s above switch from referencing the radio harness(#6) to the dic harness (#11).
I was having a difficult time scrolling up and down this post on my phone from the diagrams to the descriptions.

Here is my attempt at translation, at the very least it will help me tomorrow when i complete the install.

LED dimmer
(DIC) #12 ppl/white > (Radio) #6 ppl/white
Illumination circuit power
(DIC) #11 grey > (Radio) #7 grey
RAP fuse supply
(DIC) #7 drk green > (Radio) #9 drk green
VSS
(DIC) #9 drk green/white > (Radio) #16 drk green

Unless im misreading the above description and I'm just dumb :confused:

You must be registered for see images attach

Little Jeff

Reaction score
This is how my wiring came out. (Idk what year the wiring is on my 98 maybe a suburban or Tahoe). I also had to cross reference with my aftermarket stereo wiring diagram. Fair warning tho I haven't connected it to the dic yet, going to on Wednesday hopefully.

@ the radio

Vss dkgrn/wht is green

Rap fuse dkgrn is red

Illumination is brown

Led dimmer is white

At the OBD2 port
Class II data is blue

Little Jeff

Reaction score
Those are indeed the correct wires except my dic stays on constantly even with the constant power disconnected.

I should also add that my harness has the lights for the floor 4x4 indicator, driver side power seat, passenger lumbar, and the fuse for 4x4 has the pins in it. My truck is a 98 c1500 with a bench seat, power locks and manual windows. Idk if that makes any difference or not.

Last edited:

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can’t get mine to work. Every thing comes on then 30-40 sec later - - I have read thread over and over check connections 4 or 5 times the only thing not connected is the compass module and it’s in a 99 3500 from 98 blazer and is full featured unit

After trial and error I've concluded that the external compass versions must have the compass connected to work. It seems like it errors when it doesn't get a signal for direction.
I had the same problem with that version and only getting -- after afew seconds. I just replaced it with an internal compass version that now works perfectly with the wiring i had.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I just put mine in the other day and am having the same problem. Were you able to figure out how to fix your display?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put mine in the other day and am having the same problem. Were you able to figure out how to fix your display?
Check my post above yours, get one with an internal compass, the external compass ones dont seen to work without a compass hooked up.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check my post above yours, get one with an internal compass, the external compass ones dont seen to work without a compass hooked up.

I'll look into that. I could've sworn I had the internal compass one. It came out of a 98 blazer with the long console.

X039879

Reaction score
im going to assume that the DIC will not fit into the slot where the rear blower contoler would be?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
can the overhead DIC and the mirror share a temp sensor or do i need 2?
I imagine they could. The question never occurred to me. My buddy has the dic in his truck and the compass temp mirror and is running two sensors, one for outside temp and one for cabin temp.

No, they cannot share a sensor. Have tried, in the process I burned out my temp/compass mirror and the DIC read WAY off :p

I do like that idea of having one for interior temp tho.. Thanks for that!

im going to assume that the DIC will not fit into the slot where the rear blower contoler would be?

That would be correct.