How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwd3signs

Reaction score
Scored a nice OHC today from the pick and pull for 13 bucks. Pulled it from a 96 burb with matching interior. Wanted to grab the buckets as well since they were in fantastic shape but didn't bring enough money. Hopefully they're there when I go back this weekend.

Just out of curiosity because I didn't think to check while I was there. Is the rear view mirror for OHC models different from non console models. Seems my mirror isn't low enough. I'm looking thru a bit of the console instead of clearing it.

You must be registered for see images attach

ThatCoonass

Reaction score
Could you reupload the pictures possibly please? I just picked a dic up and i want to install it in my 97 c1500

Last edited:

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if there is much demand for this info but I spent a while tracking down what I needed and everyone who does this stuff seems to have a 95+ model: On the 94 and down, if you want to hook up the basic compass/temp module in the overhead console, you will need to connect the VSS wire to the DRAC behind the dash, NOT the VSS. The module will power up and show a direction and numbers but they will never change if you don't connect to the appropriate wire on the DRAC. Hope this saves someone some time.

chevylyfe97

Reaction score
Not sure if there is much demand for this info but I spent a while tracking down what I needed and everyone who does this stuff seems to have a 95+ model: On the 94 and down, if you want to hook up the basic compass/temp module in the overhead console, you will need to connect the VSS wire to the DRAC behind the dash, NOT the VSS. The module will power up and show a direction and numbers but they will never change if you don't connect to the appropriate wire on the DRAC. Hope this saves someone some time.
Would you happen to have a picture of the DRAC location

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would you happen to have a picture of the DRAC location

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
No picture but if you pull out the glove box cubby, look down and to the left and it will be snapped into the metal dash structure with two little retainers. It just pulls out and away.

Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone! New to the forum as I am updating our family truck! I can not wait to do this upgrade. I have all of the necessary goodies to perform the install. Just wondering if anyone needs any additional overhead consoles with only the Temperature and Compass? My son and I found over 4 today at the yard but only purchased 2. I did buy one with the "Mode" version but I believe my truck will always get 13 - 17 mpg :) - Let me know as we can go back and purchase them and send them on to you.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can the overhead DIC and the mirror share a temp sensor or do i need 2?

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can the overhead DIC and the mirror share a temp sensor or do i need 2?
I imagine they could. The question never occurred to me. My buddy has the dic in his truck and the compass temp mirror and is running two sensors, one for outside temp and one for cabin temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Axeldogs

Reaction score
Can’t get mine to work. Every thing comes on then 30-40 sec later - - I have read thread over and over check connections 4 or 5 times the only thing not connected is the compass module and it’s in a 99 3500 from 98 blazer and is full featured unit