How to install AUX/Bluetooth into a non theftlock radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjpett

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've seen threads and videos about putting AUX into a theftlock radio, but I've haven't seen much of anything about putting AUX into a non-theftlock radio, so this is my write-up for what I did to put AUX into my radio. This shouldn't affect cassette functionality, but I can't test it because both of the radios I've done this too had broken cassette players (They were broken before I opened them up). This is a pretty easy thing to do if you aren't scared of cutting and soldering a few wires. This will work with the radio below, the non-cassette variant, and anyone that looks similar. They may look different but the insides should be pretty much the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

You have to pull out the radio to do this. If you don't know how its super easy. Turn the key to ACC, disconnect your battery, set your parking brake, drop your steering wheel as low as it'll go, pull your shifter all the way down, and pull off the dash bezel. Disconnect the light wire harness and cargo/rear hatch/whatever harnesses. Push down the two clips on the sides of the radio and pull it out. Disconnect the antenna and harness. Or you could just watch this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Tools:
1/4in socket and 2-3in extension
Wire strippers
Soldering Iron
a knife, xacto, utility, (something sharp)

Parts:
Wire (I recommend speaker but any will probably do)
Heatshrink
6 pin ON/ON switch (I used this: https://a.co/d/6GPbG5A)
AUX port
Bluetooth unit (If you want it) (I used this: https://a.co/d/8HVK0Ul)

Open up the radio. These pictures might be a little off, I swapped the back chassis plate for another unit, pulled off the clips thats used in the mounting system, and removed the cassette player to try and fix it. The bolts you should have to remove are pointed at with arrows. You'll also have to pull off the front fasica, the knobs, and the bass and treble nubbins. The nubbins come off pretty easy, just pull, and put them somewhere safe or you'll lose them (ask me how I know). The knobs come off pretty easy too. I use a stiff gutiar pick to get underneath them, then kinda just dig underneath them and pull. There are 4 plastic clips on the sides. Be super careful with these or they will break off. If you have a cassette player then disconnect the wire harness that connects it to the rest of the stuff.

Remove the top circuitboard. This one is the FM recivier. We're going to be intercepting the signal from here to the amplifer. There should be 4 bolts plus the antenna on the side. Find the brown/tan ribbon cable that connects it to the bottom circuitboard/amplifer. With the antenna hookup pointed towards you, split out the two wires that are 5 from you, and 1 away from you (It's hard to explain just look at the picture). These are pretty well attached so use a knife to split them apart. Then split these two apart, cut and strip them. You'll need to add length to both the recivier and amp wires so you can hookup your aux.

For this next part your going to want a 6 pin ON/ON switch. The reason you want a 6 pin is so you can keep left/right channels seperate. One side is going to go to the FM Reciver. The other side is going to go to your AUX port. The center set of pins will go to the amplifier. From here things will differ depending on what you want to do, because it comes down to personal preference. AUX is super easy, just hook it up to the switch and find a place to put it. I wanted to add bluetooth, so I bought a little unit with buttons and a screen. I piped the wires out the back of the radio and down to the ashtray. For power I hooked to an unused port in the accessory panel. I had a buddy 3D print a replacement for the ashtray, and shot it with some truck bed liner.

Double check all your connections and test to make sure it works before you put the radio back together. Pulling this thing apart because you messed something up gets pretty annoying pretty quick.

A couple of issues I discovered. I don't know the wattage coming out of the FM reciver, nor how to find it, so if you're really cranking it on aux then you might get a little bit of the radio, and other way around. If you have a cassette radio then make sure you reconnect the harness. If you don't then it'll inturrupt your music and try to reverse the non-existant cassette.

cjpett

Reaction score
***Correction***
I labelled the amplifier board wrong. The amplifier board is attached to a side plate that doubles as a heatsink. The board labelled amplifier is actually just an extended part of the FM board that handles presets and stuff. The process remains the same, just wanted to right a wrong.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd rather just buy one.
With a warranty.

If you already have a working stereo, and can operate a soldering iron, why spend $200 on a used stereo that has the feature added?

BTW my SS came with an aftermarket unit that I wanted to replace with OEM. Ordered one from a similar seller on eBay, skipped the aux/BT modded ones and just got the regular 6 disc changer. Changer crapped out shortly afterwards and seller wants nearly as much as the unit costs to repair it. I said hell with it and hacked in an aux/BT setup instead. A while after that the display and buttons started acting up, requiring me to pull the stereo apart and address a bad connection there. Lesson: just because ads use terms like "tested 100%" "refurbished" and things like that, you're still buying a used stereo, and at a premium price.

Richard

cjpett

Reaction score
I'd rather just buy one.
With a warranty.

I can't promise a warranty, but I can promise a cheaper, more customizable, and arguably more fun solution than laying down 250 bucks for a prebuilt, which imo is way too much money for some Bluetooth. I think from concept to testing to the final product I'm in no more than 200, and I know that you can definitely build one for less than 100 dollars (~$20 for a Bluetooth unit, radio depends on where you get it)

Also, my write-up is about non-theftlock radios and the listing is a theftlock radio. I can't find any prebuilt non-theftlock except for this(https://tinyurl.com/obs-radio), but it doesn't count because it's completely redesigned.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've seen threads and videos about putting AUX into a theftlock radio, but I've haven't seen much of anything about putting AUX into a non-theftlock radio, so this is my write-up for what I did to put AUX into my radio. This shouldn't affect cassette functionality, but I can't test it because both of the radios I've done this too had broken cassette players (They were broken before I opened them up). This is a pretty easy thing to do if you aren't scared of cutting and soldering a few wires. This will work with the radio below, the non-cassette variant, and anyone that looks similar. They may look different but the insides should be pretty much the same.

You have to pull out the radio to do this. If you don't know how its super easy. Turn the key to ACC, disconnect your battery, set your parking brake, drop your steering wheel as low as it'll go, pull your shifter all the way down, and pull off the dash bezel. Disconnect the light wire harness and cargo/rear hatch/whatever harnesses. Push down the two clips on the sides of the radio and pull it out. Disconnect the antenna and harness. Or you could just watch this video:

Tools:
1/4in socket and 2-3in extension
Wire strippers
Soldering Iron
a knife, xacto, utility, (something sharp)

Parts:
Wire (I recommend speaker but any will probably do)
Heatshrink
6 pin ON/ON switch (I used this: https://a.co/d/6GPbG5A)
AUX port
Bluetooth unit (If you want it) (I used this: https://a.co/d/8HVK0Ul)

Open up the radio. These pictures might be a little off, I swapped the back chassis plate for another unit, pulled off the clips thats used in the mounting system, and removed the cassette player to try and fix it. The bolts you should have to remove are pointed at with arrows. You'll also have to pull off the front fasica, the knobs, and the bass and treble nubbins. The nubbins come off pretty easy, just pull, and put them somewhere safe or you'll lose them (ask me how I know). The knobs come off pretty easy too. I use a stiff gutiar pick to get underneath them, then kinda just dig underneath them and pull. There are 4 plastic clips on the sides. Be super careful with these or they will break off. If you have a cassette player then disconnect the wire harness that connects it to the rest of the stuff.

Remove the top circuitboard. This one is the FM recivier. We're going to be intercepting the signal from here to the amplifer. There should be 4 bolts plus the antenna on the side. Find the brown/tan ribbon cable that connects it to the bottom circuitboard/amplifer. With the antenna hookup pointed towards you, split out the two wires that are 5 from you, and 1 away from you (It's hard to explain just look at the picture). These are pretty well attached so use a knife to split them apart. Then split these two apart, cut and strip them. You'll need to add length to both the recivier and amp wires so you can hookup your aux.

For this next part your going to want a 6 pin ON/ON switch. The reason you want a 6 pin is so you can keep left/right channels seperate. One side is going to go to the FM Reciver. The other side is going to go to your AUX port. The center set of pins will go to the amplifier. From here things will differ depending on what you want to do, because it comes down to personal preference. AUX is super easy, just hook it up to the switch and find a place to put it. I wanted to add bluetooth, so I bought a little unit with buttons and a screen. I piped the wires out the back of the radio and down to the ashtray. For power I hooked to an unused port in the accessory panel. I had a buddy 3D print a replacement for the ashtray, and shot it with some truck bed liner.

Double check all your connections and test to make sure it works before you put the radio back together. Pulling this thing apart because you messed something up gets pretty annoying pretty quick.

A couple of issues I discovered. I don't know the wattage coming out of the FM reciver, nor how to find it, so if you're really cranking it on aux then you might get a little bit of the radio, and other way around. If you have a cassette radio then make sure you reconnect the harness. If you don't then it'll inturrupt your music and try to reverse the non-existant cassette.
So I put this wiring in my 2000 Escalade gmt400 but it works off having a external cd player. This company may have other options for you it’s worth checking out.
This is wiring with Bluetooth adapter. They also have a aux corded setup of the same deal.here’s pics of them and video link

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
It’s all plug n play and less than $100 I have a posting on it on my thread on here gmt400 Escalade if you have any questions or hit me up on here. Super easy video shows how it works and it’s super simple and gives great sound better than what I had before which was ISIMPLE wiring from about 2014! Which was cord/aux to a junction box that connected to the bigger plug in back of radio no cutting wires or anything the cord ram out which can be interchangeable for iPhone or android to plug into phone I still have that setup in my garage pile of “good stuff” lol but it is to connect with a theft lock radio you may want to check out eBay and look for older radio adapter hook ups since that’s what would work as a plug n play setup.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s all plug n play and less than $100 I have a posting on it on my thread on here gmt400 Escalade if you have any questions or hit me up on here. Super easy video shows how it works and it’s super simple and gives great sound better than what I had before which was ISIMPLE wiring from about 2014! Which was cord/aux to a junction box that connected to the bigger plug in back of radio no cutting wires or anything the cord ram out which can be interchangeable for iPhone or android to plug into phone I still have that setup in my garage pile of “good stuff” lol but it is to connect with a theft lock radio you may want to check out eBay and look for older radio adapter hook ups since that’s what would work as a plug n play setup.
That iSimple adapter you mentioned is also sold by PAC Audio, or it looks identical enough other than the label, to believe it's made by the same people and they just supply whatever harnesses you need with it. I've used them in a few different vehicles and yeah, the quality is a bit lacking. Two biggest complaints I've got is sound level is pretty low even with the adjustments cranked, and I've also had a couple of them just croak after a while.

Richard

cjpett

Reaction score
Yeah, that is a great quick and easy solution for the theftlock radios with a slave cassette or cd unit. I can't speak to reliability or audio quality because I've personally never used one but I've heard good things. Fortunately, there are tons of resources on how to add aux or Bluetooth to the theftlock-style radios from buying a prebuilt solution like what Nad_Yvalhosert suggested or ones that hijack slave unit signals like what Cadillac Bob sent over. If you want to do these yourself there are tons upon tons of writeups similar to mine. The stickied thread in the Audio and Electronics category seems to have the greatest amount of knowledge about modifying theftlock-style radios. You can also find plenty of info on modifying 88-94 stereos here.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
the ISIMPLE module isn’t pictured just what discount car stereo.com had for my gen 400. Yes ISIMPLE module left a lot to still want!! Lol but it was good enough for the time and if you wanted that module ISIMPLE I could mail it to you just pay me for shipping? But put in a double din atoto A6 pro in and didn’t like it too many wires to deal with connecting to and not very good volume control plus losing my 2 factory cd players wasn’t what I expected to be and I just couldn’t justify not having them only to gain higher highs and options of a double din offer which was nice but most things I wasn’t going to use. And so bright inside the cabin that’s the biggest issue I have with newer cars screens are just not dim enough for night driving I want to see the road not damn screen! lol but that new BT adapter works great connects before I even get into the car and can play feet away from adapter! I might have bought one of those redone theft lock BT radios but non were “Bose” radio as mine is so and to get it fixed up was $300 from told so.