How-To: Install a trans temp gauge in a 95+ GMT400 with a 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
For those of you questioning the accuracy of the test port for the sending unit. Here's a comparison between my stock pan mounted sending unit in my 4L80E and the aftermarket guage.

You must be registered for see images attach

Where did you obtain the software to read the OBD 2 transmission temp. Would love to have that set up!!! :)

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a ScanGauge II in my '05 Trailblazer to read Transmission Temperature. It should be able to read data streams in anything OBDII and display on the screen.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I use a ScanGauge II in my '05 Trailblazer to read Transmission Temperature. It should be able to read data streams in anything OBDII and display on the screen.

I've got a scan gauge in my truck but I could never figure out how to get to trans temps and stuff like that, what function is that under?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a scan gauge in my truck but I could never figure out how to get to trans temps and stuff like that, what function is that under?

I had to find the correct XGauge command to pull the transmission fluid temperature data stream. What year is your truck and I’ll see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I had to find the correct XGauge command to pull the transmission fluid temperature data stream. What year is your truck and I’ll see if I can find it.

It's a 96 K2500, I managed to get it set up so it would show me RPMs, mileage, intake temp, and timing but couldn't find the command to set trans temp up like I said.
It's been a couple months since I've even had that sumbitch plugged in due to the fact I don't have a mount where I'd

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

Hmm, guess I'll need to go out tomorrow and give it a whirl, how do you have yours mounted? I stuck mine where the steering column meets the dash bezel just in front of the cluster, but I don't have a way to get it to stay. Not to mention having to string the long ass cable around so it's not dangling at the floorboard.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, guess I'll need to go out tomorrow and give it a whirl, how do you have yours mounted? I stuck mine where the steering column meets the dash bezel just in front of the cluster, but I don't have a way to get it to stay. Not to mention having to string the long ass cable around so it's not dangling at the floorboard.

I used a strip of Velcro to stick it to a small lip above the radio, in front of the center dash vents in my Trailblazer. I routed the cable in the dash down to the diagnostic port also so it’s all hidden. I have a second cable too for when I want to read other vehicles. Just unplug and separate the Velcro and it’s mobile again.

BIGEALZ

Reaction score
I was originally going the pillar pod way but ended up going the overhead console way:

We'll see how long the Glowshift gauge lasts.
I know this post is super old but.. how hard it is to do this to my overhead console.. is it as easy as drilling the home and running the wires.. or is there some others things you have yup do to put it in the overhead console??

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk