How-To: Install a trans temp gauge in a 95+ GMT400 with a 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
You're okay. My gauge starts at 100, unless I'm towing or spending a lot of time in stop-and-go traffic, I'll never see 140 during winter. Where I live, 20-40F degrees is about the coldest it gets, not to mention I have a trans cooler.

Now towing during summer, I'll see temps about 180, if not slightly higher.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
BTW, you can use a blue 194 LED so the gauge matches your escalade cluster.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. After I left the drive thru the temps stayed right at 165-170. I'm just wondering how fast a mechanical gauge will react to temperature changes. I installed it because I like to drive on the beaches at OBX and driving on sand will over heat a trans real quick.

I made one big mistake though. I ran all the wires and such before installing it in the pod.. So I had to cut a slit and notch in the pillar and pod. Doh! Leave and learn I guess haha

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Guys, can you help me help a friend? If you got power and lighting for the gauge somewhere other than the chime like I did, can you tell me where? Preferably in a 88-94 truck?

Sent from my Nintendo 64

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, can you help me help a friend? If you got power and lighting for the gauge somewhere other than the chime like I did, can you tell me where? Preferably in a 88-94 truck?

Sent from my Nintendo 64

93 here, I used one of those double fuse things and wired it into the ignition fuse. As for lights I tapped in behind the parking light switch. It works good for me

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sent from my Nintendo 64

You must be registered for see images attach

Yellow wire with the aftermarket crimp is at a terminal that is hot only when the key is on. That's my trans temp power. Tapped the light in from the dash lights (gray if I recall but it's been years since I had to look) so it would dim with the gauges.

Richard

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a great mod, just finished mine up. If you care to keep the chime, you can drill the pins close to the base of the chime to solder your gauge power wires to. You'll have to use pretty fine wire to fit under the chime.

Haven't seen temps higher than 140 just doing highway driving with no load, factory aux trans cooler.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
For those of you questioning the accuracy of the test port for the sending unit. Here's a comparison between my stock pan mounted sending unit in my 4L80E and the aftermarket guage.

You must be registered for see images attach