HOW TO: Fix Bouncy/Hummingbird Fuel Gauge Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the stepper motor replaced. Works perfectly.
I did have to go borrow a T8 torxs head screwdriver.

Also thought I broke the resister off the old motor, but fortunately, it comes apart in three pieces and snapped back together.

Someone told me the needle only went on one way, but the hole is round and the pin is round.
I had the tank full and allowed time for the stepper motor to turn to full and just put the need on at the full mark.

Thanks everyone for posting this. I can now make my 800 mile trips with 1 stop for fuel. I was stopping every 250 miles so I wouldn't run out of gas.

Last edited:

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 34 gallon tank. I fill up before I leave and can go with only one more stop to refill.
If I'm towing I will need to fill up again just before my destination.
I was filling up way too often with the bad gauge..

I'm putting in a new 34 gallon tank once I know this one is about empty..

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Os this what you are trying to lube?
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a ground issue, mines been doing the same thing. Every once in a while it will jump around but always goes back to full. I haven't had a chance to check it. I use the trip odometer so I know when to fill up

How would I fix that? Is there a YouTube video?

Did you guys ever find a fix for this? My gauge kind of does both. It started off by vibrating so much that it was blurry (I'm guessing this is the hummingbird vibration that the oil could fix) and then it became less and less reliable, the closer I got to empty the more it would jump, like jumping half of the range back and forth. Now it mostly just sits at full. Honestly it stopped working a couple years ago so I just go by the trip, but I saw this post and decided to ask. I remember about 3 or so years ago I looked into it and just assumed it to be the sending unit and didn't try to fix it. Does anyone know where/how I could check the ground? I'd like to try this oil fix for the vibration but if it still just reads full then it's kind of pointless...

Also, back when it did somewhat work it didn't move off of full for about the first 100-150 km (60-90 miles), is this normal operation or an indication of a ground issue as well?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost