How to deal with previous tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys hope I'm in the right forum. First timer here so sorry if I'm not.

I just bought a 97 Tahoe 4WD 4dr w/ 5.7 and 4l60e that has 224k miles. In the engine bay there is a Hypertech Power Module tied into the computer. Kid I bought it from didn't have the controller for it and didn't know about either.

What are my options to get rid of this module and possible tune on my Tahoe?

Here is the kicker, trans is bad with no 3rd gear so I believe the 3-4 clutch pack is fried and there is a MAP sensor code present too. Could this tune be responsible for either of these issues?

I plan on taking it back to stock with a new trans in it and drive it for a few thousand miles before I start any upgrades. It will be a daily that occasionally tows. Can I just pull an ecm out of a junker at my local pick n pull and swap that in? Should I just leave it and see what happens? Thanks for any advice just really need a sounding board to bounce ideas off of. This is keeping me awake at night lol

Attachments

• 20211119_145958.jpg
    20211119_145958.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 19

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the OE, ECM is not there? Has it been replaced with this hypertec in your pic? If yes to all, then, whatever you put in place of what's there now, will need to be programmed for you truck. This would include a junkyard ECM. All of the ECMs are locked to the vehicle that they are in, unless they have been reprogramed. http://blackbearperformance.com/ maybe your best bet for an ECM.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also I know you said you want an OE tune, but this would be a good time to do the 0411 swap.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The stock PCM is still there, you can see it in the background of the picture on top.

The connector that's on the Hypertech module looks very similar to the ones on the factory '96+ PCMs. At first glance I thought maybe one of the factory PCM connectors was just relocated to the Hypertech, but it looks like all four of the big ones are still plugged in. I'd be interested to see how and where this is tied into the harness.

Hypertech is still around. I'm sure that module you have is discontinued but you could try contacting them for more info on it.

https://hypertech.com/

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The stock PCM is still there, you can see it in the background of the picture on top.

The connector that's on the Hypertech module looks very similar to the ones on the factory '96+ PCMs. At first glance I thought maybe one of the factory PCM connectors was just relocated to the Hypertech, but it looks like all four of the big ones are still plugged in. I'd be interested to see how and where this is tied into the harness.

Hypertech is still around. I'm sure that module you have is discontinued but you could try contacting them for more info on it.

Oh, after clicking on the pic, I see the stock ECM. Makes me wonder if you can just do away with the hypertec stuff all together. Maybe just unplug and remove the hypertec stuff. The tune should be in the hypertec box, I would think.

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies!

I sent an email out to Hypertech to see what they say.

I uploaded a few more pictures that you can hopefully see that it is fully tied into the PCM. The upper connector come from the harness to the module where it then goes to the PCM out of the connector on the bottom left.

I figured I could just unplug the connector on top of the module and just plug it into the PCM directly but I wasn't sure how this thing works and didn't want to fry anything.

And sorry if I'm not using the right terminology, I'm a body man and know nothing about PCMs and tunes.

I will look into a 0411 swap. Not sure what that is but if it'll help in the future then might as well do it now.

Attachments

• 20211208_131703.jpg
    20211208_131703.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211208_131516.jpg
    20211208_131516.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211208_131525.jpg
    20211208_131525.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 14

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I sent an email out to Hypertech to see what they say.

I uploaded a few more pictures that you can hopefully see that it is fully tied into the PCM. The upper connector come from the harness to the module where it then goes to the PCM out of the connector on the bottom left.

I figured I could just unplug the connector on top of the module and just plug it into the PCM directly but I wasn't sure how this thing works and didn't want to fry anything.

And sorry if I'm not using the right terminology, I'm a body man and know nothing about PCMs and tunes.

I will look into a 0411 swap. Not sure what that is but if it'll help in the future then might as well do it now.
The 0411 swap, takes an ECM from a 2001 ish van and that replaced your ECM. That van had a 5.7 L Vortec, but has the newer ECM. Same ECM used on the LS engines, more or less. It process faster, and is more tunible. The is a lot more support out there for the 0411 ECM, than there is for the Vortec black box ECM. The Vortec black box, was only used for 1996, 97, 98, and 99 classic, and 96, 97 we're just a little different than 98, 99, or at least had a little different tune.

Reaction score
The 0411 swap, takes an ECM from a 2001 ish van and that replaced your ECM. That van had a 5.7 L Vortec, but has the newer ECM. Same ECM used on the LS engines, more or less. It process faster, and is more tunible. The is a lot more support out there for the 0411 ECM, than there is for the Vortec black box ECM. The Vortec black box, was only used for 1996, 97, 98, and 99 classic, and 96, 97 we're just a little different than 98, 99, or at least had a little different tune.
Awesome thank you! I found Lextechs thread about it and sent him a PM as well. Do you know if I have to source my own 0411 ECM or would he or black bear performance be able to help with that as well?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome thank you! I found Lextechs thread about it and sent him a PM as well. Do you know if I have to source my own 0411 ECM or would he or black bear performance be able to help with that as well?
There is a deposit that black bear charges for there ECMs. If you don't send in an ECM, they just keep the deposit.