HOW TO Convert From Drum Brakes to Disc Multi Part Video Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So rather than “shorten the wheelbase” what was meant was “narrow the rear track width.”?

Since this has turned more into a general discussion about rear disc conversions on DRW 3500, aside from the “why” aspect, could one purchase the backing plates and other components for a 2001+ 3500 and retrofit to the GMT400 axle? They use the basket style caliper brackets. Master cylinder would need to be changed, and I haven’t compared the newer rear caliper specs to the older front caliper specs to know if they would play nice together.

Even if it were to provide identical braking to the drum, I could see it as a worthwhile endeavor IF the rear drums required a complete overhaul including replacing drums from a cost perspective and ease of future service.

Attachments

• A4DCEC84-C2F1-474F-941A-FCDF3F4BC7E6.png
    A4DCEC84-C2F1-474F-941A-FCDF3F4BC7E6.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 13
  • C71BF27E-2462-4779-8AC2-79AC40A64EA5.jpeg
    C71BF27E-2462-4779-8AC2-79AC40A64EA5.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
img_7186-jpeg.330847

Note how the OEMs mount the caliper--no damned flat bracket. The caliper mount takes the braking thrust in-line with the rotor, not off to the inboard side of the inboard pad.

That's the Bendix caliper system, familiar to folks who've worked on older Fords, and (maybe) Chryslers. At least, Fords are what I first saw them on. They're considered "sliding" calipers because they slide on a steel leaf-spring and are trapped underneath by a steel support. As opposed to the Delco-style calipers which "float" on rubber O-rings on steel sleeves/pins.
Noted...again like I stated before this would have been my first choice. I do feel in my heart that this $1,400 kit more appealing to the masses. Guy has em on tow trucks and
So rather than “shorten the wheelbase” what was meant was “narrow the rear track width.”?

Since this has turned more into a general discussion about rear disc conversions on DRW 3500, aside from the “why” aspect, could one purchase the backing plates out for a 2001+ 3500 and retrofit to the GMT400 axle? Master cylinder would need to be changed, and I haven’t compared the newer rear caliper specs to the older front caliper specs to know if they would play nice together.

Even if it were to provide identical braking to the drum, I could see it as a worthwhile endeavor IF the rear drums required a complete overhaul including replacing drums from a cost perspective and ease of future service.

From what I understand this is the only bolt on application, everything else requires more money, work and time. I don't know how other DRW are set up but mine has Hydroboost so it really doesn't get any better than that. I didn't even need to add adjutable Prop Valve. This was just, remove, replace, weld (my choice), run brake lines, bleed, break in and check torque after initial driving interval.

Even if you don't feel comfortable and do all the "hard" work yourself. You are still light years ahead to pay a mobile mechanic come to make lines and bleed the brakes for you.

Nice dually by the way! Can't wait to get mine that low...miss gliding in and out my truck as well as the easy to load and unload stuff from the bed.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance as I'm forever a student when it comes to the gmt400 platform considering I still have my first truck (Escahoe) for over a decade now since I was a teen.

When I got Mandingo I was tired of replacing the door handles and discovered Kodiak Handles which can be found on HD models will work just need the rods and bits. I found a yard that would let me pick and pull b/c I have been going to them since I was a teen. Even though it is illegal now they let me...they would sell me the doors for $200 or if I found a dented one $50 each.

In my travels I have a Cab and Chasis and assumed it was HD bc of cab and chasis as well as Kodiak Handles...truck was also sporting 19.5's never paid attention to bolt patten till you pointed this out. you are correct about the 10 lug maybe lol

either way I would have swapped hubs front or rear to make it work.

#1 goal is disc brake conversion
#2 shortened wheelbase to give me the option to run a bigger rim/tire combo without extending the fenders

Last photo is me using a forklift at work to take the doors to the scrap dumpster. I sware I had to drag these doors half a mile at the yard to get them to my truck.
You won't be swapping the hubs between that Dana 80 axle in the 3500HD and the 14 bolt in your 3500. They're not even close to the same animal. Just consider that a 3500HD has pretty much nothing in common with a regular 3500 at the chassis level.

Richard

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't be swapping the hubs between that Dana 80 axle in the 3500HD and the 14 bolt in your 3500. They're not even close to the same animal. Just consider that a 3500HD has pretty much nothing in common with a regular 3500 at the chassis level.

Richard
woah! thanks for sharing

wonder if wheel adapters would work to go Semi 10 Lug Pattern