HOW TO Convert From Drum Brakes to Disc Multi Part Video Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll have to dig them out to measure. I don’t think I was ever able to confirm through online research and stumbled across those for sale so just pulled the trigger.

95 Silverado

Reaction score
@95silverado, are you 100% going the disc conversion route and no longer in need of replacement drum backing plates? A trip to the yard may happen this weekend but I’d rather not mess with trying to score those if they are no longer needed.

Also, since I have some interest in a rear disc swap I’m really interested in seeing this play out if you go this direction. Are you planning to purchase the lugnut brackets then modify to provide better caliper support?

From what I’ve found, the 3500 DRW Express/Silverado/Sierra use the same rotor and the backing plate crosses between them. Your chart shows the calipers with dual 2” pistons but when you look under the trucks there are also dual 2.4” piston calipers available.

To me, assuming the math works out with the caliper bore sizes, this is a better option. You would have a more robust caliper mount and a better designed parking brake with the internal drum vs the ratchet/screw style from the Caddy. Welding the replacement axle flange onto the axle tube should be pretty straightforward using the brake assembly to set proper spacing and getting everything square.

This would be my preferred method of making the swap, so really curious if you already considered and found a reason to rule it out?
@bretcopsey I've convinced myself that a disk conversion is plausible enough that I've ordered parts and the 3500 DRW Express/Silverado/Sierra drums arrived today from a local supplier. I also ordered the Lugnut4x4 heavy duty Caddy calipers, 1.5" spacers (because I have 16" wheels and apparently need the extra clearance) and weld-on brackets which should arrive next week.

I've been fully prepared to modify the brackets to provide better caliper support and/or make my own in conjunction with what may be my new favourite website at https://sendcutsend.com/ (I think you posted that in another thread?)

I also really like your idea of using Express/Sliverado/Sierra calipers instead, especially now that I know a 2.4" version exists, and I will definitely look into that further while I wait for the Caddy calipers to arrive. If I decide to go that route instead I'm sure I can sell the Caddy calipers with no trouble.

P.S. I really appreciate you offering to check out that wreck for me, but no need for now unless this fails miserably!!!

Last edited:

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know what the bolt pattern is?
I pulled them out but cannot locate my calipers. Everything here is in chaos due to a driveway replacement over the past week. I’ll look some more in the morning.

In the meantime, I grabbed these ROUGH dimensions using iPhone to measure if it helps to understand the rough size. In no way is this accurate enough to use to make a set.

*Edit-I re-read this and no, I didn’t use calipers during the driveway project lol! The garage is just more in disarray than usual. I couldn’t even find the measuring tape….

Attachments

• IMG_4192.png
    IMG_4192.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4194.png
    IMG_4194.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4193.png
    IMG_4193.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 5

95 Silverado

Reaction score
I wasn’t able to find Express/Silverado/Sierra backing plates either and I needed to get my truck on the road so I did the initial install with the Lugnut4x4 brackets that weld onto the axle.

You must be registered for see images attach

There’s room to weld a tab perpendicular to the bracket to support the calliper in the middle and I was planning to do that but ran out of time. Now that I better understand the geometry I‘m seriously considering just making my own 3D brakets that weld together and bolt to the stock flange with laser cut parts from SendCutSend.

I’m still testing the truck empty before loading it up but so far stopping power seems no better or worse than the 13 x 3.5 drums they replaced. The stopping curve is however more linear with disks so there is better moderation, but I also think I’m using slightly more of the pedal for emergency stops, which isn’t really surprising considering that I’m using the same master cylinder with larger pistons than the drums had, and I haven’t tinkered with moderation, balance, or anything else.

So while just swapping the drums for HD Lugnut4x4 calipers isn’t a performance revolution, it is definitely a game changer for inspection and maintenance. I love how I can inspect everything with the wheels still on the truck, including the axle seals, whereby the drums were a black box that required removing the axles and hubs to even look at anything.