How to check Check engine light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Some people dont like how bright that translates to when its dark, but I personally like it. I can FIND things and It encourages being awake because of the unnatrual likeness to the sun when its dark and tired hours

This is kinda cheating, thats not an OE light lol but I wanted to see damnit

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never understood why folks invite problems with LED/HID lights.
plus when it comes to brake lights(really only important in this one instance) the time to activate is much quicker. safer. but thats hardly a justification for instrument cluster backlighting and tell-tales

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've replaced almost all lights in my 98 K2500 and my wife's 2000 escalade with led bulbs except the headlights on my 2500 and the low beams on my wife's escalade and the cluster warning lights on both. Put a pwm led dimmer in them to dim the back lighting because the factory resistor board in the headlight switch just shuts them off before it noticeably dims them.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As AuroraGirl said it probably needs to be flipped around, but you may find it will slightly illuminate all the time because the way the circuit is designed. I did all of mine LED but switched the warning lights back to incandescent because of them barely glowing all the time.
If you put a 1kohm resistor across the terminal of the bulb holder you won't get the lights partially illuminated. They cost something like $2 for 20 through Amazon. I had that issue but only with the brake and security lights. But I added resistors to all and no problems now. I've read that LEDs compatible with canbus contain resistors internal and won't light dim when off but I don't know it to be true not having tried it. But the resistor bit I know works and is real easy to do. No solder, just wrap each lead of the resistor around each terminal of the bulb holder then twist into the panel.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you put a 1kohm resistor across the terminal of the bulb holder you won't get the lights partially illuminated. They cost something like $2 for 20 through Amazon. I had that issue but only with the brake and security lights. But I added resistors to all and no problems now. I've read that LEDs compatible with canbus contain resistors internal and won't light dim when off but I don't know it to be true not having tried it. But the resistor bit I know works and is real easy to do. No solder, just wrap each lead of the resistor around each terminal of the bulb holder then twist into the panel.
Yeah its usually a quality thing. Even a good working and clean brand spanking new circuit like a cluster or a vehicle should have LED bulbs resisted, there is going to be small amounts of current and that means they will prob glow lol. I Personally dont mind on interior LED on the car it feels like fancier than just no lights but not quite a ambient light setup lol!

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While that is most likely the case the infrequent use of those bulbs I decided to save money and use the incandescents that I already had vs chasing a cure to something that I hope doesn't come on.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hi,

98 Tahoe 5.7

I swapped all the lights to led.

When checking every led I noticed that the Check engine light won't ignite...

Never noticed before but when starting it should come up for a second,right?

Now,how can I force an error that the check engine light has to show up?

Thanks!

No need to force an error, the "Check Engine" light should illuminate when the ignition switch is flipped to the "Run" position. All other warning lights should illuminate for a couple seconds as well. Some, like the Battery, Oil Pressure and Check Engine light will remain illuminated until you start the engine or switch the key off.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 Tahoe 5.7...

...Now,how can I force an error that the check engine light has to show up?

No need to force an error, the "Check Engine" light should illuminate when the ignition switch is flipped to the "Run" position.
True.

I suspect that a '98 is new enough that a scan tool could command the instrument cluster to turn on/off the warning lights on command.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never understood why folks invite problems with LED/HID lights.
Some people are afraid of the fire
And some people run into it

and some people start fires.

And then some people buy cheap LEDs lol

Its not that they are looking for issue. LEDs can make indicators look nice and then last forever if they are quality. problem is, flooded market of SH*T