How to bag that truck of yours

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So bags on the lower links, forward of the axle, would give a more compliant ride because of increased range of motion with less required air pressure?
I’m also assuming pressure adjustments are equal to spring rate adjustments?
Does bag size account for anything?
Correct, bags on the links will ride better. Typically a bigger bag will be rated at a higher weight capacity for a given pressure.

Would an air bag be considered a progressive spring?
I don't know enough about springs to answer that, or the rate questions...

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt think bags would be considered progressive rate. Progressive rate springs have "looser" coils and get progressively tighter as they coil. Meaning the winds get closer together stiffening the spring rate as they compress. Air bags dont really change their compression/rebound rate, bags have an certain amount of air in them and the comp/rebound rates are basically fixed depending on the PSI in them. Thats the way I understand it anyway, I could be wrong.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do modern (aftermarket) air ride setups offer a more comfortable and compliant ride? Compared to factory options like in Cadillacs and Lincoln’s etc… as an example if I wanted to build a comfy highway cruiser out of a suburban would a bolt on 3link kit get it done or would a control arm/ shackles and hangers kit (retaining factory springs) with good shocks be better? Comfort being the main goal with lowered center of gravity being a wanted side effect.

If you don’t mind cutting your floor than a traditional 3 link with bag over axle is what I would do. My 92 has been that way for 20 years. With the same Firestone 2800lb bags. It always road like a dream. Now it won’t have the lift like a bag on bar setup but I prefer bag on axle.

On my suburban im probably going to bag the front and lower the rear anther couple inches and just keep the helpers bags on it and tie them into the air management. It’s not really ideal for the rear but I’m not cutting it up.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don’t mind cutting your floor than a traditional 3 link with bag over axle is what I would do. My 92 has been that way for 20 years. With the same Firestone 2800lb bags. It always road like a dream. Now it won’t have the lift like a bag on bar setup but I prefer bag on axle.

On my suburban im probably going to bag the front and lower the rear anther couple inches and just keep the helpers bags on it and tie them into the air management. It’s not really ideal for the rear but I’m not cutting it up.
Ok cool and if I’m not trying to tuck 22s or lay frame I could do a 3 link with a mini notch and keep it under the floor yea?

I thought about doing it that way too, bags in the front and an axle flip static in the back since most of the weight is in the front.

Are y’all getting extra road feedback with heim joints on the links over the poly bushings or is it a negligible difference.

I know in a performance application you want as little deflection as possible…

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok cool and if I’m not trying to tuck 22s or lay frame I could do a 3 link with a mini notch and keep it under the floor yea?

I thought about doing it that way too, bags in the front and an axle flip static in the back since most of the weight is in the front.

Are y’all getting extra road feedback with heim joints on the links over the poly bushings or is it a negligible difference.

I know in a performance application you want as little deflection as possible…
Static dropped trucks never ride like luxury cars in my experience. You can make them handle very well, but short of replacing the entire chassis with a custom setup, there will be compromises between ride and handling. Same is true for air ride.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve never had hiems on a something with air ride because they are loud. I used a pete&jakes 4 link kit and cut it up but again that was 20years ago, I’m sure things have changed.

You could run a big mini notch in the rear and get real close to laying out.

I wish I had a camera when I was building a lot of these trucks in the early days. You can google image search “zachs92” and “slowtowpig” and it will pull up a lot of my trucks

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had hiems on a something with air ride because they are loud. I used a pete&jakes 4 link kit and cut it up but again that was 20years ago, I’m sure things have changed.

You could run a big mini notch in the rear and get real close to laying out.

I wish I had a camera when I was building a lot of these trucks in the early days. You can google image search “zachs92” and “slowtowpig” and it will pull up a lot of my trucks
Cool trucks! Now I just need a suburban. Maybe I’ll be a better welder by then and I’ll make my own

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Couple more air ride related questions…

How much drop-can be obtained (aired out) with an under bed notch? 8”, 10”?
Picture for reference
You must be registered for see images attach

Second question is- are front tubs required with 275/60r15?
So will the tires top out in the wells before the frame hits the ground?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Couple more air ride related questions…

How much drop-can be obtained (aired out) with an under bed notch? 8”, 10”?
Picture for reference
You must be registered for see images attach
I'd guess about 8" maybe a little more.
Second question is- are front tubs required with 275/60r15?
So will the tires top out in the wells before the frame hits the ground?
Yes. My dually had those tires on it before the 19's. You'll need to move the wheel wells up at least 6" if I was guessing, so cutting out the stockers and tubbing is easier. I used a trailer fender cut in two, half on each side.