How to adjust the steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this, so I put it here.

First you have to get your tires as straight as possible. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then turn the steering wheel all of the way to the right and count the turns. Divide the number of turns by 2. Then turn the steering wheel that number. Your tires should be straight ahead. On my truck I needed a 3/16 allen wrench and a 5/8ths ratcheting wrench. A regular wrench will work, but its a bit longer process. The adjusting bolt is located on the top of the steering box. You can get to it from under the hood. You should see 5 bolts, the one you want is the allen head bolt in the center with a lock nut. I suggest spraying oil on the bolt and wait a couple of minutes. Loosen the lock nut with the 5/8ths wrench. Keep the wrench on the nut and turn the allen bolt with the 3/16 allen wrench. Tighten it untill snug and back it off about a 1/4 turn. There should be a torque spec on this but I searched for a 1/2 hour on Alldata and couldn't find it. Once you have the allen bolt tightened, keep the allen wrench on the allen bolt, hold it in the same spot, and the tighten the lock nut with the 5/8ths wrench. This a where a ratcheting wrench comes in handy.

This was done on a 1994 C1500 so other trucks might use different sized nut and bolt. This same procedure should work on any vehicle with a steering box.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok explain this to me like I'm dumb. What was your truck doing that made you do this, and is there any side effects? If you need to do this does that mean your box is getting worn out?

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
It is done when your steering feels loose. But if you do it to tight it is a problem to. I think by tightening the allen bolt it pushes a gear further in place. Over time it wears out but I believe it is tapered? maybe to be adjustable. Anyways as I said, it is when your steering feels loose (and it isn't idler arm). The steering wheel still needs to return though. So be careful not to do it to tight. When you go around a turn it should straighten itself out, not keep turning if you were to let your hands off.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, all my tie rod ends are good, idler arm & centerlink are new, and I can move the steering wheel back & forth 2 or 3 inches, sounds like I should tighten the box some.

truckintim05

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I need to give this a try too. I just replaced all steering components up front and still have play in the steering wheel.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
I am not sure if it removes any play from the steering wheel, it just increases the friction...you know what i mean

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
Ok, all my tie rod ends are good, idler arm & centerlink are new, and I can move the steering wheel back & forth 2 or 3 inches, sounds like I should tighten the box some.

adjusting the steering box wont take that much play out of the steering wheel. have you checked your steering shaft?

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It took about half of the play out my steering wheel. It still has about 3 inches of play in it. I'm almost positive its from the shaft, the boot was torn when I bought it a few years ago.

88C1500

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but I would like to add to it.

The threads are reversed as well. Or at least on mine it was. I just got done doing this haha