How to adjust the steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did this to my dad's '98 K1500, exactly the same procedure. Same tools required too.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this thread is old however I just adjusted mine word for word like the op said. I took it for a test drive and it feels like it wants to pull me all over the road. So does this mean I need an alignment now or did I do something wrong? I losend the lock nut, snuged the allen bolt. Back it of 1/4 turn, held that bolt in place as I tightened the lock nut.?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I know this thread is old however I just adjusted mine word for word like the op said. I took it for a test drive and it feels like it wants to pull me all over the road. So does this mean I need an alignment now or did I do something wrong? I losend the lock nut, snuged the allen bolt. Back it of 1/4 turn, held that bolt in place as I tightened the lock nut.?
It's possible you're alignment is out and the adjustment is exaggerating it. Same thing happened to me when I installed a Redhead quick ratio steering box.

One thing I'll say, I don't suggest adjusting the box like the OP states. If you're not taking it off the truck to check the preload, just tighten the over center adjustment in 1/8 to 1/4 turn increments and road test it each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lsp1369

Reaction score
I did this on my 95 k2500 Suburban.. just over 1/4 turn and man, what a difference.. definitely not perfect, I didn't want to overload the gears, but just that small adjustment took alot of slop out..

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, adding to this as well, 9 yrs later. I just replaced the following on my 96 z71 because they were shot:
1)Idler
2)all tie rods
3)upper control arms with BJs
4)steering box (refurbished...autozone...)
5)intermediate shaft in the engine compartment. I think I may have seen a knuckle or joint under the dash as well, but I haven't verified.

Everything else, as far as I can, tell is good. What else can there be? I mean the slop is so bad that I don't really feel confident in my ability to turn quickly enough in an emergency.

From what I can tell, the lower ball joints are good, but what is the surefire to check that?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, adding to this as well, 9 yrs later. I just replaced the following on my 96 z71 because they were shot:
1)Idler
2)all tie rods
5)intermediate shaft in the engine compartment. I think I may have seen a knuckle or joint under the dash as well, but I haven't verified.

Everything else, as far as I can, tell is good. What else can there be? I mean the slop is so bad that I don't really feel confident in my ability to turn quickly enough in an emergency.

From what I can tell, the lower ball joints are good, but what is the surefire to check that?

With the engine idling, grab the steering shaft under the hood and twist it back and forth. Observe where there is input, but no steering movement.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the engine idling, grab the steering shaft under the hood and twist it back and forth. Observe where there is input, but no steering movement.
Ah, good point and thanks for your reply. I will try this tomorrow. Maybe I can have my wifey help me do this.

Blp378

Reaction score
1)Idler
2)all tie rods

I can almost guarantee that you need a rag joint. ‘Steering coupler’ is what some places call it.