How to: 95-98 OBS and 99-02 NBS Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I want to do this as I have pretty chewed up steering wheel leather and my hazard switch seems to not be working correctly so I only want to tear the column apart once.

I'm having a major problem finding the s-series clock spring though. All the online gm parts sites say 26087312 is discontinued.
Junkyard is the easiest place to find the parts all in one place, TBH.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree, but the ones around here won't let you walk the yards. I did a couple of junk yard searches also most of the listings didn't say one way or the other as to the audio controls.

I work in a small town that has a Chevrolet dealer. I'm going to take my chances and see if their parts dept. has one. I don't get it if it's discontinued, what are people with audio controls in those year model trucks supposed to do if their clockspring has issues?

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
took me about a year for one to pop up locally . mine came from an 02 escalade. that one is an on/off affair once you get the spring off as well. the only thing I did note was the truck side airbag connector is different. I had enough forethought to clip the connector from the donor so it becomes a non event.

jlj1267

Reaction score
New member. Reviving an old thread...

I have a 2001 2500 Suburban, which I'm looking to add the pre-03 steering wheel controls onto, with the factory head unit. I can get the switches, but what does the clockspring have to do with it other than to keep the wires from tangling during turning? I understand that the switches only have a single output wire that controls the H/U with various ohm readings (pin 14), but does that same signal go through the factory clockspring connector? I'm sure i could figure a way to wire the switches directly to the head unit without worrying about any tangling. Any response is appreciated.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New member. Reviving an old thread...

I have a 2001 2500 Suburban, which I'm looking to add the pre-03 steering wheel controls onto, with the factory head unit. I can get the switches, but what does the clockspring have to do with it other than to keep the wires from tangling during turning? I understand that the switches only have a single output wire that controls the H/U with various ohm readings (pin 14), but does that same signal go through the factory clockspring connector? I'm sure i could figure a way to wire the switches directly to the head unit without worrying about any tangling. Any response is appreciated.
The clock spring has the two wire harnesses going into it and out of it. I don’t see a non redneck way of doing it. I have spare setups (clockspring, controls, plastic steering wheel piece) if you want the stuff.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One last try to figure this out. I already did the steering wheel swap on my 1998 Z71, got that off a 2002 Escalade and the clockspring, I even got another buttons harness to make that one into a pig tail and extend the 4 wires (black, grey, green and yellow) to connect to what? If someone used a PAC which ones was it they used.

OR

Did they just connect those wires like it said earlier in thread:At the radio connector:
Pin 5 – Black – Ground
Pin 7 – Grey – Dash Lights +12v
Pin 9 – Dk Green – Keyed +12v
Pin 14 – EMPTY - Remote Radio Control and do nothing with the yellow wire?

Installers and PAC themselves don't see how the SWC will work if there is no connection to the BCM. This is where the PAC is connected to from what i was told it would get the signal from.

I got an Alpine CDA-117 and my old wireless remote from my CDA-9811. I have had free XM for the last 4 years. When the 9811 buggerd up, i had to find and Alpine that still used the AI Net connection to keep it. The XM is the old audiovox module. I also added the KCE-400BT to the stereo and works fine. In fact i got another Alpine a CDA-9886, xm module and a KCE-400BT as back ups. I also have the conversion cable to connect the 400BT to 9886 cause Alpine changed the shape of the connection. I likes to keep my free XM as long as I can.

SWC would be icing on the cake if possible.

Another update is the Escalade center console too. Pending leather seats.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
installer finally finished with it. Didn't follow the last part on the radio connector. He did connect the yellow to power but not sure on the rest. In radio mode all the buttons work. In USB, XM radio, CD n BT audio the seek does not advance to the next XM channel, cd or USB track n same on BT. The buttons lighting aren't on but not sure if this due to how he wired it.

kunstmilch

Reaction score
installer finally finished with it. Didn't follow the last part on the radio connector. He did connect the yellow to power but not sure on the rest. In radio mode all the buttons work. In USB, XM radio, CD n BT audio the seek does not advance to the next XM channel, cd or USB track n same on BT. The buttons lighting aren't on but not sure if this due to how he wired it.
Pics?