How to: 95-98 OBS and 99-02 NBS Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
If you've got the older style wheel, will an 02 wheel bolt right up?

From the original post:
- NOTE: If you have an OBS, 98 was the only year with the correct steering wheel. If you have a 95-97 or a higher GVWR truck with no airbag, you will need a new steering wheel and airbag. For higher GVWR trucks without an airbag, the SIR coil will still be required, however the airbag function of it will remain disconnected.

Kyle

Reaction score
Why not just swap in a steering wheel like this???? Its out of an 02 Escalade. The 02 Chevy savanna has the same steering wheel w/out the buttons of course but with the bowtie center.
You must be registered for see images attach

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not just swap in a steering wheel like this???? Its out of an 02 Escalade. The 02 Chevy savanna has the same steering wheel w/out the buttons of course but with the bowtie center.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's the exact wheel I want, only in black

94C1500

Reaction score
New member, first post

I have a 94 C1500 and have been curious about this. Is this upgrade possible on my truck?

Brian

Kyle

Reaction score
That is a 2003+ steering wheel, the upper column shaft is different (smaller) than the pre 2002 trucks so it is not a direct swap. You can install one but you need to swap the upper shaft out of the column.

so i could use the same column and change the upper shaft... is it really that simple or am i looking at fabbing up a custom shaft and what not

skobuffs

Reaction score
I found a guy with steering wheel controls on his blazer, he wants $120, but I can't decide if that's worth it, and I'm not sure how much I wanna mess around with that airbag and my rudimentary skills...