How old is too old? ATF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t know what your missing!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The dope gets more excited about his fire in the end.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you guys don’t eat old food?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I ate chicken a la king in a 1991 or 92 MRE.

Best damn peanut butter of my life in the MRE and the crackers havent changed a bit. beautiful. The M&Ms were tasting like HW Bush (if I had to imagine what his corpse or remains are like now)
very bland and strange.
I did not die and it was infact edible and tasty (The main meal)

It also had a brownie bar that was slapping

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed, but that does not mean lubricant technology has not marched on.
Dexron III is conventional and it has thus broken down some

But its also a very simple dino fluid and it has been in a garage and presumably not put through extremes?

It iwll be okay but would probably be prone to varnish more than Dexron III

If you want to test new vs old, you can buy some manual trans and transfer case fluid(dexron III is still produced in that label) and do comparisons and tests. Project farm idea! Lol

Fun fact, they determined the dermal toxicitiy of the fluid by killing a rabbit with skin contact to ATF.

it was a lot of skin contact, I imagine they held a rabbit in a harness and submerged it mostly and laughed evily till it died

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The other day I read about some scientists that made a stew with some meat from a centuries old bison of some sort. It was found in 1979, and they made the stew in 1984. Apparently the animal had been killed by a North American Lion and then frozen.

I'd run the ATF, but probably only in my t-case, and not the transmission. Or maybe use it a quart at a time in the engine oil.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LMAO, Going from ATF to 90 yer old sup, and SPAM. :banana-mario:
:cheers:

Thanks again for everyone, I'll just use it up, I'm sure it will be fine. As they say, if it looks good, smell good, and tastes good... :biggrin: