How NOT to flush your power steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I just remember I actually have a .pdf users' manual for 1997 Tahoes and there is a list of fluids and lubricants in page 7-49: power steering pump should use "GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 1052884 - 1 pint, 1050017 - 1 quart, or equivalent)".
then how much fluid gets in there?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank goodness for my MityVac. I just suck the fluid out of the reservoir, refill, and repeat the next couple weekends. Or every oil change just suck the fluid out of the reservoir and refill.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thank goodness for my MityVac. I just suck the fluid out of the reservoir, refill, and repeat the next couple weekends. Or every oil change just suck the fluid out of the reservoir and refill.

I've tried that with power steering, brakes, and equivalently a filter only change and refill on the trans. That method sucks for all 3. Even a coolant purge I prefer to drain the block.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
then how much fluid gets in there?
I bought 4 liters of Ravenol PSY-F. Would be better if I got another liter.
I did the flush as shown here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It went very well, I'm happy with the results.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've tried that with power steering, brakes, and equivalently a filter only change and refill on the trans. That method sucks for all 3. Even a coolant purge I prefer to drain the block.
I have yet to see anything besides the old fashion way work well when it comes to bleeding brakes. For coolant I pull the lower hose, or if I’m serious remove the knock sensor. For everything else the MityVac is cleaner and quicker. I do use it to suck the old brake fluid out of the reservoir when bleeding brakes…..