How many?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
How many cans of gray primer and black would it take to do a rattlecan paint job on a ex cab short bed?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I agree with 884x4, about 10 to 12 of each. I have done sections of mine as touch up. The thing is to apply thin layers, leaving about 10 to 15 mins between coats. Primer takes less time to dry, but it also needs time to dry between coats. I just redid my bowtie black. No primer needed, but it took 5 coast of black to make it look rite. Also when priming, after the first few coats, then wet sanding with some 600 grit wet dry sandpaper (wet sanding) before you start painting will give a nice slick shine. Also after the paint sets up for a few weeks, you can wet sand with some 1000 grit wet sandpaper,but DO NOT over sand it. After about 3 months, you can buff out the paint with a buffer polisher and some polishing compound. We did this to my sons Honda Civic years ago. It cam out fantastic. He bought some Cherry red paint. We wet sanded the pealing clear coat then about 3 months later, we buffed it out. It looked grate. No wet sanding needed.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I kinda like the way murder nova has his color little shine and dullness mixed right