How many use their trucks as true daily drivers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amen. That is exactly what I was taught too.
Does not matter what it is - car, truck, fishing reel, house, BBQ grill, wifey,...
Everybody always says how clean and straight my truck is, all the time. Form the car shows I participate in, to just people I meet up with wherever I go. I had an older man who judges cars for car shows comment on my truck yesterday, saying how good it looks. Thing is, I keep up with all the little things, and then I go a steep above and beyond. When it brakes, I fix it, I take very good care of it, and I care about how it looks, and clean it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211121-111215_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121-111215_Chrome.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20211023-205049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-205049_Chrome.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201207_121728.jpg
    20201207_121728.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201122_171249.jpg
    20201122_171249.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 7

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amen. That is exactly what I was taught too.
Does not matter what it is - car, truck, fishing reel, house, BBQ grill, wifey,...
I myself am religious about cleaning and oiling my reels. Every saltwater trip is a reason for a hot water rinse, disassembly, and buttload of oil and grease.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My '98 is currently my only functional vehicle (within 1000 miles of me at least) so I have to drive it every day.

It's a great truck, but I'm bringing my '74 over since I need a secondary to fall back on while I do a lot of work to it at my trade school.

E-gads

Reaction score
Been driving a '97 Tahoe I bought new and a '99 Yukon I bought used 7 or 8 years ago. I love them. They are reliable. I don't have to worry about someone stealing them. They are easy to work on. Parts are plentiful and cheap. When the wife said it was time for me to get a new rig, I told her I already have it and that I just needed to add some new parts. Some of that you can see in my signature. I wish it got 25mpg but you can't have everything. Does it bother anyone else that the automobile industry has been throttled by a lack of computer chips from China? I try to avoid parts for my truck made in China unless it has AC Delco stamped on it. What does that say about the longevity of new vehicles?
With all I've done to the Yukon, I'm not sure it won't outlast me. After all, I'm 55 but it's not about the years, it's the mileage that counts. I'm just glad Oregon doesn't salt their roads in the winter. Even though we get a lot of rain, there is literally no rust on either trucks.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's no conspiracy. When companies order chips, they essentially reserve running time at a chip fab plant. When Covid hit, the car companies cancelled their reserved time, thinking they wouldn't need chips if nobody was driving. That immediately put them at the back of the queue, just in time for severe weather that flooded thousands of cars. Now everybody's trying to buy a car and the car makers are having to wait their turn to get their chips made.

Russ95

Reaction score
been my daily ever since purchased 7 years ago. 95 sierra 350/4l80e 130k. Listed for sale few times with thoughts of a newer truck, but either don't get my asking price or truck im looking at is sold. Just spent 3k on bodywork so guess im keeping her now. Lol

Last edited:

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drive my 91 K1500 to work every day. It's got 356K on it. I replaced the engine and tranny last year. I drive it 68 miles each way 5 days a week. Along with other places on the weekends I do over 3000 miles a month. I can't think of a better vehicle to spend that much time in.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
The vast majority of my life has been spent with either a 2500 (4 of them now) or 3500 (2, looking for another) 400 series Chevy or GMC. Cumulatively, I think I've spent either 14 or 15 years with one in my possession, and the ones that I have driven the most were the 454 ones. Had a single 454 K3500 for just shy of 10 years, and it spent 90% of that time as my daily driver. Even when I was driving nearly 100 miles a day round trip for work. My current K2500 Burb Elise was my daily driver until the injectors crapped out, but I'm working on fixing that, hoping to be done in a month or two. Given the choice of anything else I've ever had, I almost always picked the big, heavy, inefficient old 400 in my possession.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vast majority of my life has been spent with either a 2500 (4 of them now) or 3500 (2, looking for another) 400 series Chevy or GMC. Cumulatively, I think I've spent either 14 or 15 years with one in my possession, and the ones that I have driven the most were the 454 ones. Had a single 454 K3500 for just shy of 10 years, and it spent 90% of that time as my daily driver. Even when I was driving nearly 100 miles a day round trip for work. My current K2500 Burb Elise was my daily driver until the injectors crapped out, but I'm working on fixing that, hoping to be done in a month or two. Given the choice of anything else I've ever had, I almost always picked the big, heavy, inefficient old 400 in my possession.

Did you happen to keep track of your mpg in the big trucks?

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Daily drive my 92 C1500 for work. I have not had to rely on it for "trucky" things yet but no doubt it could handle it. I have had 0 issues getting from point A to B after I had a motor swap, and am confident if I did that I could fix it on the side of the road with common hand tools.

The drivetrain is so bullet proof that even in terrible condition it can get you home. I drove the totally shot 305 that used to be in it (compression was all over the place, blowby so bad it came in the cab through the dash vents) for well over a year and although it died on me countless times I was never stuck. I even got it home 70 mi from the shore when my alternator caught on fire!

In comparison, a friend of mine just got a brand new Volkswagen that already had electrical issues and had to be towed to the dealer A DAY after she got it.