How low would you go.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going with a 4/6 eventually. I did go ahead and cut factory coil and got right up at a 2" drop. So now I have 2/2 gonna acqurie spindles and a rear kit and shocks.

BTW the ride isn't bad with a cut coil at all.
How much of the coil did you cut? And did you use cutoff wheel or torch?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the same dilemma and thinking of cutting 1/4-1/2 coil out of the front springs to lower it a little.
Remember,you still may want to use the truck to haul a load as intended so you may not want to drop it so low you're riding on the bump stops with your dog in the back.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you cut the springs with a torch you'll change the temper. If you use a cutoff wheel you won't.
If you torch cut correctly you will only anneal about 1/2" of the first coil but you would still want to finish grind the rough cut end. Better off to use a cutoff wheel then just touch the paint up.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using a torch is a mistake. Even when used correctly the heat will still transfer up the coil, effectively changing the spring rate. There's no way around it. Don't believe me? Go ahead and grab the spring with your bare hand 2 rounds above where it was cut...
Death wheel is the best way to cut coil springs.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the same dilemma and thinking of cutting 1/4-1/2 coil out of the front springs to lower it a little.
Remember,you still may want to use the truck to haul a load as intended so you may not want to drop it so low you're riding on the bump stops with your dog in the back.
That’s what I like about the 3” lowered, lower control arms, I’ve retained all the factory travel and ride comfort. I’m sure drop spindles are the same.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5/8 don’t look back. Gotta finish the front.

Attachments

• F145D1F0-AA94-4AD7-A819-D43DE651AF9E.jpeg
    F145D1F0-AA94-4AD7-A819-D43DE651AF9E.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 6