How hard to go from 5 speed manual to floor shift automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 Chevy with a 5-speed manual transmission I want to go to a automatic transmission but don't know which transmission to use and if it's possible to go to a floor Mount automatic transmission and how expensive process or how hard does it will be and what will bolt up to the V6 and what parts are needed I'm completely lost

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much any GM trans is available to bolt up to it.

A non computer controlled trans would be the easiest I think, but probably the correct thing is to get a trans, harness and PCM from the same year V6 truck. At that point I would consider a V8 swap while I was at it.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yay though of that credit is grap someone stole. My information and went wild got like 50 inquires that shot my. Score by 100 points then two loans so yay iv got like a 526.witch sucks but thanks for the advice though of that and no luck
Two-step process. Very easy.

1. Sell the manual-transmission truck

2. Buy an automatic-transmission truck

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont. Leave it stock. Better MPG with the manual.
Youd need to replace the entire wiring harness, reflash the PCM and rewire the neutral safety switch, remove the 3rd pedal, replace the brake pedal, weld closed the shifter hole...
So, dont.
I hate the granny shifting it has in it what other manul will bolt up that will get me away from this super low first amd second gear I mean. In first I can't even go past 5mph and second ic can't get past 15mph it's stupid low gearing any suggestions

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you can if you want not use first and just start out in 2nd. You have to figure any manual is going to to have some what low 1st and 2nd gears. Have to get the vehicle moving. Just doing a quick search a 4l60e 1st gear ratio is about the same as the nv3500's 2nd gear. A t56 is also about the same as the 2 gear in your nv3500. If your wanting more speed in each gear then change your rear gear ratio.