How does this happen...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got back from vacation in Ohio in-which we took the wife’s car. I put the truck in the garage while we were gone. So today I go to the hardware store for some screws and when I return... I NOTICE I HAVE A FREAKIN CRACKED WINDSHIELD!! what the heck is this. Can temp change do this?
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wow, that stinks. Maybe you already had a chip that was unnoticed and the cold finished it off... it did snow in Omaha a few days ago, so it got cold while you were gone... of course, I don't know if the whole state got that cold.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got back from vacation in Ohio in-which we took the wife’s car. I put the truck in the garage while we were gone. So today I go to the hardware store for some screws and when I return... I NOTICE I HAVE A FREAKIN CRACKED WINDSHIELD!! what the heck is this. Can temp change do this?
You must be registered for see images attach
Right where mine split when it cracked ! Mystery nothing ever hit mine either.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had about a 1/4" crack coming off of a tiny rock chip. It was like that for months. One day while at work, a cold front rolled in and the temp dropped about 40 degrees. When I left work, the crack went the full width of the window, and grew a few off shoots up and down.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quote was $178 to fix it so Im not too sad about it anymore. I’ll probably get it fixed in the spring

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a zero deductible for glass with my insurance. I usually get a new windshield each year after the winter sand/gravel is off the roads. I usually get at least one chip in the windshield each winter.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a zero deductible for glass with my insurance. I usually get a new windshield each year after the winter sand/gravel is off the roads. I usually get at least one chip in the windshield each winter.
Damn that’s awesome! I just have crappy liability since it’s a $1800 truck lol

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have liability with comprehensive since there are so many critters as big as I am in the road. The comp is what covers the glass.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the heat an cold will do it. Had a small chip in my burb window then it sat when I went out of state for a week during 110°+ heat and came back to a crack side to side.