How do I run speaker wire from scratch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmobile

Reaction score
I have a 96 Cheyenne Std. Cab that came from the factory without a stereo. Luckily, Chevy included the wiring harness that will make installing a head unit pretty straightforward. But, no speaker wire has been run to the doors or rear pillars. Does anyone have a diagram/instructions/videos of how to run the wires? I'm pretty intimidated by getting the wiring to the rear pillars.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just run a couple single pairs. Just put a number or colred piece of tape on each end so u can distinguish the 4 circuits. Speaker will tel u pos or neg on terminal. Then connect the other end to harness. Again. It will tell u pos or neg

Color doesnt matter for speaker wire just code it… can be black - / red + , black + / white - , What ever u get…. They sell speaker wire at wal mart will tell u pos / neg on it as well

bobmobile

Reaction score
Just run a couple single pairs. Just put a number or colred piece of tape on each end so u can distinguish the 4 circuits. Speaker will tel u pos or neg on terminal. Then connect the other end to harness. Again. It will tell u pos or neg

Color doesnt matter for speaker wire just code it… can be black - / red + , black + / white - , What ever u get…. They sell speaker wire at wal mart will tell u pos / neg on it as well
Appreciate the response. But, where do I physically run the wire to get it to the back pillars?

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. But, where do I physically run the wire to get it to the back pillars?

i'd go in the channel under the door sills. there are a few screws you need to take off to remove the sill - and also likely the seat belt mechanism (i think that's just a big torx bolt)

You must be registered for see images attach

the wiring for the speaker then continues up the side to the speaker

bobmobile

Reaction score
i'd go in the channel under the door sills. there are a few screws you need to take off to remove the sill - and also likely the seat belt mechanism (i think that's just a big torx bolt)

the wiring for the speaker then continues up the side to the speaker
Thanks! This helps a ton.

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
I could use some advice on this topic too.
How do you route the wires into the doors?
How much interior disassembly required, also?
Thanks
Ed