How do I remove this assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilotcop

Reaction score
I want to remove this so I can replace it with a USB connection. What is the best way to get the whole thing off?

Attachments

• lighter.jpg
    lighter.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 9
  • lighter2.jpg
    lighter2.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 10

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
your truck is newer than mine (i have an '89 and my cigarette lighter is totally different) so this is just a guess...
i'd look for screws underneath and try popping off the panels on either side to look for side attaching points.

sorry i'm not much help but hopefully you can figure it out.

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pilotcop

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that other thread, I was hoping for a response with a little more confidence with my exact dash. I'm replacing it so that I can run a USB/HDMI cord to my radio, so the sockets are a no-go. those are cool though.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had mine off before on my 97, but I really don't remember how I pulled it. I think I had to remove the ashtray, and the panel on the driver's side, under the steering column, to access some screws, but 8ts been a while like I said.

Pilotcop

Reaction score
I have had mine off before on my 97, but I really don't remember how I pulled it. I think I had to remove the ashtray, and the panel on the driver's side, under the steering column, to access some screws, but 8ts been a while like I said.
That's kinda what I was thinking so I may start there, there are videos of everything on youtube but not this lol.

Pilotcop

Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
this might help....

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/95-98-how-to-remove-cigarette-lighter-dash-piece.5946/

ha... found a video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ok - it doesn't look like the video likes me. if you go to youtube and put this in the search bar you'll get results that will help....

How To Remove The Ash Tray Assembly On A '95-'98/'99 Classic Chevy C/K 1500/GMC Sierra​

The ash trays in my '97s haven't been used for anything in years, but thanks to this video I may finally replace those burned out 194s that haven't worked since I've owned them. :lol: I bought replacement LEDs and plastic clips probably 10-12 years ago and never messed with it.

Thanks for sharing this find!