How do I know which U-Joint I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh....1/8" is going to be cutting iron. The holes aren't that big, and it's a waste of time any way. The plastic runs around the entire circumference of the bearing cup. The holes are where the plastic was injected, and the opposite side is to verify that it went all the way around.

What are you using for a u-joint press? You've got to have a setup that won't bend the yoke ears. Breaking that plastic takes a lot more force than just popping out bearing cups that are holding on due to habit, after the clips have been removed.

I know how the plastic is installed, I don't drill but have had people tell me it helps despite that.
A SNap On press in the vise and an air impact. I've done quite a few over the years working in shops and never bent a yoke on plastic. I have bent one when I was in a hurry and missed an internal ring. I like the plastic vs. digging out the rings.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know how the plastic is installed, I don't drill but have had people tell me it helps despite that.
A SNap On press in the vise and an air impact. I've done quite a few over the years working in shops and never bent a yoke on plastic. I have bent one when I was in a hurry and missed an internal ring. I like the plastic vs. digging out the rings.

Digging out the rings on mine were a pain. I live on the coast and they were caked in rust. I had to spray a ton of blaster, scrape a bunch of rust off and then get at them with a small screwdriver and a hammer to pry them loose. One of them broke twice and left a piece in there.

We ended up just cutting the U joint at the base of the cups and then pressed each cup out individually with a ball joint press. The new one went in like warm butter compared to getting the rusty one out!